SkyrimPrefs.ini/Skyrim.ini changes do not take effect in game.

Skateboards

Hey everyone. Long time Nexus user, first time making a thread.
I was just wondering, why do my .ini changes never apply in game?
I'm editing the .ini files in Documents/my games/Skyrim and they don't seem to take effect.
For example, I'm trying to add the bDisableGearedUp=0 trick in Skyrim.ini, but it's not working. I've also added it to SkyrimPrefs but to no avail.
When I tried changing the shadows in SkyrimPrefs as well, nothing worked.
I'd like to add that in previous installations, these tweaks have worked.
I'm not new to modding these games.
It's left me kind of baffled because I have no idea what's going on.
I should also mention that when I loaded a save I made on a previous installation where the tweaks worked, they were still there regardless of the ini files.
Anyone have any idea what's going on?

usually after adding a line like the one you did when closing SkyrimPrefs a rectangle window like the one pictured below should come up, choose save and exit when closing the SkyrimPrefs ini file

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z383/Craigsters/like_zps422b5514.jpg

Also, have you used the saveini console command at some point recently? if so, that creates an ini file that overrides your regular ini files. If that's the case, just google saveini to find how to remove it. (I'd tell you, but it's much easier for you to read the same info I got than trying to understand my explanation. Plus, I'm lazy and don't like typing what I could just point you to an external source for).