Recommended mods for a first playthrough

Alonshowman

Hi, I just started the game a few days ago and I'm wondering what mods you would recommend for a first playthrough. I know it is often recommended to do your first playthroughs without mods, but my experience with other games (like Baldur's Gate) tells me that some mods can significantly improve the gaming experience even in a first playthrough.

• I have already installed Qwinn's Fixpack. According to the description it simply fixes bugs, so it looks like this is a must for everybody.
  • I want my character to look more or less like myself, and the character generator in vanilla doesn't have enough options for that, so I have already installed More hairstyles and I could also use other mods that help with things like my beard.
  • Improved atmosphere looks interesting. I like the parts that improve the behaviour of NPCs and the conversations, for example. But for my first playthrough I don't want things like more items and equipment, I'm already overwhelmed with what vanilla has. Also, it fixes some bugs, but I don't know if those bugs are already fixed in Qwinn's Fixpack. It looks like it's a very big mod with a complicated installation, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to try it for my first playthrough.
  • In general, I'm interested in any mod that makes clear improvements to the game, but not in mods that change the content, I think it's best to save those for my second playthrough.

So what do you recommend?

My advice for a first playthrough (for any game) is to play as lightly modded as possible, without impeding function. That means bugfixes only, and perhaps minimal texture replacers. That's the only way to find out exactly what YOU want to change about the experience. (Because what I - or anyone else - thinks is a 'good mod' is assuredly not going to be what you think is one... and I say that as someone who has not only made mods, but who used to blog about what mods I like.)

Improved Atmosphere crops up more than any other mod in troubleshooting discussions, so if you do install it, be prepared for bugs to crop up. It also cannot be uninstalled mid-playthrough without remnants of the mod remaining (as some of the alternations it makes are 'baked into' the game saves) so that is something to bear in mind as well.

Edited by theskymoves

@balmz: Thank you for the suggestions: I'll install Dain's fixes straight away. Bug fixes are always good. Advanced quickbar sounds interesting, but I don't think I need it yet. I'll have a look again once I've progressed a bit more in the game. The other two seem to change significantly the original game contents, so I think I'll save them for a second playthrough.

@theskymoves: Thank you, that sounds sensible. Regarding the minimal texture replacers, what would you recommend?

For a minimal texture overhaul I'd recommend something like

Theta HD

Some Dalish Textures

Coordinated Ferelden Architecture

Hazy Sun (or Afternoon Sun)

Campfire Texture fix (from MRP)

Blood Puddle Retexture

Subtle Gauntlet Ghosts

Minor Texture Fixes

I'd also recommend a replacer for the vanilla hair texture (something like KH's Softer Hair and Beard, though there are other options), and your choice of chargen replacers (skin and eye textures/tints).

That would offer a near-vanilla experience, with improvements to the most egregiously bad Bioware textures. And no matter what mods you install (and even if it's none at all), you'll also want to patch the game executable with either the 4GB or LAA (Large Address Aware) patch, which will improve the performance of the game.

• 1 month later...

For a minimal texture overhaul I'd recommend something like

Theta HD

Some Dalish Textures

Coordinated Ferelden Architecture

Hazy Sun (or Afternoon Sun)

Campfire Texture fix (from MRP)

Blood Puddle Retexture

Subtle Gauntlet Ghosts

Minor Texture Fixes

I'd also recommend a replacer for the vanilla hair texture (something like KH's Softer Hair and Beard, though there are other options), and your choice of chargen replacers (skin and eye textures/tints).

That would offer a near-vanilla experience, with improvements to the most egregiously bad Bioware textures. And no matter what mods you install (and even if it's none at all), you'll also want to patch the game executable with either the 4GB or LAA (Large Address Aware) patch, which will improve the performance of the game.

Thank you for your recommendations, theskymoves. I'm installing these mods one at a time to make sure that they don't mess up my game, and so far so good. However, I'm not sure of what to do with Campfire Texture fix (from MRP). According to the description you should only install that mod on games in which you haven't yet recruited Morrigan, but I already recruited her long ago. Is it OK to install the mod (or at least this part of the mod) anyway?

Apart from Qwinns fixpack the only indespensablles I've really found are :

- extra dog slot - I just like having Dog around permanently, but not to the point of limiting my tactics

- larger action bar - I now have one that has about 30 slots over 3 tiers without taking up too much room

- LAA patch

- after 5-6 playthroughs, skip the fade is nice to have

Others that I've had have now been included inQwinn's great opus

Edited by ThingTheWiz1

• 2 weeks later...

The campfire texture fix can be installed at any time. Just put the textures in the override folder. (The warning you reference is with regard to the dialogue and plot fix files.)

Thank you, that woked :)

- larger action bar - I now have one that has about 30 slots over 3 tiers without taking up too much room

- LAA patch

Where is the larger action bar? I can't find it. And what is LAA patch?