Level up messed up

So let me just say first I am a super novice modder. Every time I do a new playthrough, I spend a lot of time beforehand tweaking around with mods and the toolset to make an ideal Origins playthrough which I started doing last week. I started a new character today but whatever I did this time must have screwed something up bad because leveling up is giving incorrect attribute point amounts or sometimes not at all. For example, a character levels up, he has only 2 attribute points to spend, and when I spend them it gives me 2 points for each point. Or, I level up, get no points, and only a talent.

There was another thread about this posted in 2018, it was caused by some mod he downloaded that I have not installed. He had to uninstall and reinstall several times. I'm really hoping to avoid that, I have a bunch of work in progress in the toolset and if I reinstall it will be lost. Since I started messing around on the toolset and with mods to get ready for a playthrough, I've only installed a few new mods, I've uninstalled those and the level up is still bugged. I'm thinking it's from a thing I tried to do that I haven't ever tried before and I missed a step or touched something I shouldn't have somewhere that caused this issue.

I was trying to make Oghren a dual wield warrior, I edited his ALOghren 2DA file, changed his stat weights and talent priorities, converted it to a .GDA and put it in the override. I also tried to edit some scripts so that when you see him in Orzammar before he is recruited he would be wearing a casual outfit but then when he actually gets recruited he has his armor/weapons. I couldn't get the scripts to export correctly. when I tried it exported a bunch of .plo and .nss files but didn't create any .ncs files, I deleted the exported .plo and .nss files from the toolset export folder because I figured they were redundant. I obviously don't know for sure, but I'm thinking that somewhere in that whole adventure is what screwed the level up process.

So my question is, does anyone know if there is a file I can check and maybe edit to correct this issue or something else I can do to troubleshoot this besides uninstalling and reinstalling?

Edited by legitimatebusiness

I can't speak to the issue with exporting your script, but re the attribute points 'bug', are you working in a custom toolset module (and not editing Single Player)? And are you cleaning out the garbage files from the override folder? When you export from the toolset (or even just view files, sometimes) the toolset can spit out all kinds of unwanted, unneeded, game-breaking junk, in both /toolsetexport and the main /override. While it will usually take the form of loose files in the root of those folders, I've sometimes had to delete actual folders of files that were created by the toolset. (IIRC, there's some command in the toolset to clean out those files, but I always did it manually... I'm a weirdo control freak about things like that. :/)

If you are editing Single Player (rather than a custom module you created) then you should either reinstall or repair your game, as you may have altered core files.

Some info on module creation:

Toolset wiki > Creating a Module

Beyond Ferelden tutorial

Edited by theskymoves

yeah I had my own modding module but I had done some stuff with the single player module as well which hasn't really been a problem before, but I think because I tried to get fancy with Oghren I must have broken something. Anyways, I uninstalled everything, reinstalled it, and it was still broken on that character, so I created a new character and now it works. Lesson learned I guess for trying to be too fancy with stuff I don't understand lol.

• 3 weeks later...

When that happens it's usually because a mod is using the vanilla module_core script instead of either selecting "none" if a module script isn't necessary or using a custom core script.