Forcing Animations

shadowpaladin0

Hey all, I've been looking at trying to force the player to play an animation through scripting and have had mixed results. Specifically, I'm trying to get the player to use the bash animation and have it actually use the bash attack. What I've been seeing, though, is that while I can get the player to play a bash animation that's fairly close to the actual one in the base game using .sendAnimationEvent(), the result is a standard melee swing that just looks like a bash.

My understanding is that the Havok system requires that all sorts of conditions and transitions have to be hit before the animation typically gets called, so maybe there's a specific order to the animation events that I just haven't found yet. Has anyone had any luck with forcing animations that follow their default behaviors?

I'm not trying to make or play new animations, just existing ones in the game. Are you suggesting I put the vanilla Skyrim bashing animations into a folder and attempt to run FNIS behavior updater? That seems like a large amount of overkill just to get the bash animation to work like an actual bash.

The problem is that just sending a SendAnimEvent() that LOOKS like the one you want often is not what you expect. Often these kind of animations follow a certain sequence of events, and you need to find the right star event.

And then there are always conditions which need to be met (behavior variables and attributes) This is usually done by the game engine, and when you don't set them accordingly, you will get incomplete results, like what you experienced.

Now finding this information is not that trivial. Just the (humanoid) character bevavior, translated into xml code, contains several million lines of cryptic information. So you have to understand that I will not simply look into your problem and give you the right information. Too tired of doing it all the time for FNIS. But if you are really serious you can use my tool CondenseBehavior (see my signature). This will allow you to relatively easy to find the structure into which this AnimEvent is embedded.