Interest in Various Video Tutorials?

ashtonlp101

Hello all,

So over the years of modding I feel like I've learned a good amount of little miscellaneous things here and there that you kind of have to figure out on your own/ be creative in scripting to do. Things like scripted weather, vertibird assaults, world building, quest design, etc. I was thinking about making video tutorials on these things just to give fellow authors some guides to learn them. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in such a thing and if so what would you like to see? I'm no DevilsWish, but I have been modding for a while and have learned (and continue to learn) new things all the time and feel like I have some ideas to share with people. Thank you!

I'd watch them! I'll take all the tutorials I can get, honestly, I'm a total noob. I'm on my first real project in the GECK that's more complex than modding a player home to look nice and getting objects to run existing scripts like new pickable plants or new campfire recipe activators.

I'd watch them! I'll take all the tutorials I can get, honestly, I'm a total noob. I'm on my first real project in the GECK that's more complex than modding a player home to look nice and getting objects to run existing scripts like new pickable plants or new campfire recipe activators.

Okay, anything specific? What is your project orientation, I know youâre working on a companion, I could show make a video on open-ended RPG quest design if you want a companion quest, or branching dialogue.

Quest design would be stellar! Any tips you can give would help a lot. I have a quest in mind for my companion that's going to require a lot of learning on my part. Things I'll be needing to learn include:

-Setting up a quest with optional alternate objectives to account for player allegiances, such as when the character is supposed to create a diversion at the Fort, but they are currently hostile to the Legion (I guess in this case the options would be "plant a bomb if you're okay with the Legion" vs "go on a rampage if they're hostile to you")

-Creating activators that give messages with buttons to choose from, like "plant bomb" vs "leave it alone"

-Adding items to the player inventory like a detonator that causes a scripted explosion

-Moving NPCs to new areas, having them only appear when the player is on a certain quest objective, having them walk to a marker, and disable permanently on arrival

-Removing a companion temporarily from the party to only appear at a specific location after the player has completed an objective

-Scripting dialogue between NPCs

Those are just examples of the specific things I personally am looking into dealing with in the future, I don't know if that's enough to warrant any videos -- I can always come to the forums and ask for help for more my-quest-specific stuff that I'm trying to work out if none of that strikes you as something you'd like to make a video about.

But anything that makes setting up a quest less opaque would be helpful, especially scripting for quest objectives to pop up or complete, setting optional objectives, accounting for player choice, etc.

Edited by McFearo