Photo

Textures are stored in .bsa, can I still install mods?

.bsa new vegas help textures meshes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

zwagonlander

zwagonlander

Stranger

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

So this is my first forum post here, but I've been messing with mods since 2008. However more recently I have gotten the Elder Scrolls/Fallout games on steam, and I've noticed this presents a problem for me. All my meshes and textures are in .bsa format, instead of folders, so I can't install new meshes or textures for mods. I remember this happened with Oblivion as well and I was able to work around it, but I've had no such luck with new vegas. I'm running Windows 7 x64 with the steam versions of the games, obviously.

DizzasterJuice

DizzasterJuice

Faithful poster

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts

Loose files override files in the bsa...so any file you add of the same name and filepath will override the original packed in the bsa. To extract the original use FOMM/tools/bsa browser.

jazzisparis

jazzisparis

The baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells

• Premium Member
  • 2,600 posts

Welcome to the Nexus forums, zwagonlander!

Almost all vanilla game assets are packed in BSA archives, in FNV as in other TES series games. That should not, in any way, prevent you from installing mods.

If it is "replacers" (=new assets replacing the default game assets) you are talking about, in most cases you can simply dump those into the appropriate sub-folders inside the FNV 'Data' folder, then run the game with a mod manager (FOMM/NMM) with archive validation enabled.

Non-replacer custom assets are handled pretty much the same way.

zwagonlander

zwagonlander

Stranger

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
EDIT: Got it. Thanks guys

Edited by zwagonlander, 01 April 2013 - 02:52 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: .bsa, new vegas, help, textures, meshes

Page loaded in: 1.108 seconds