Tutorial: Working with the NiControllerManager.

TrickyVein

The devil is in the details! This can be mighty frustrating at first, so I'll try and help you through what you're looking at.

Define the number of controlled blocks that you want to have for each 'block' i.e. node (NiNode or NiTriStrips) that you want to animate for each sequence. So it's not just the one that's shown in the picture, it's as many as there needs to be. In this case, two.

I don't know what else to say about keyframing the animation and what you're missing. You need at least two keys for each type of data, representing start and stop times. The rotation type has to be defined. Everything has to be linked together correctly.

My advice would be to open up another .nif to compare values. Like one of the office doors.

Hey hey! I spent some more time trying to do this. I'm not done yet but I just wanted to show that I've had some success. Finally got the doors to rotate even if they are rotating the wrong way. This tutorial was really helpful and I can't wait to see what I'll be able to make now that I know how to navigate .nifskope data nodes stuff. Thanks TrickyVein!

Excellent.

Here are some common things to look for if your animation appears to be working in Nifskope but not in the preview window of the GECK or in-game:

• The flags (numerical value) for the NiControllerManager
  • BSX flags
  • Making sure to include every object in the object palette

Many different game engines make use of .nifs, and Nifskope can accommodate each of them, so even if your animation plays in Nifskope it's not a 100% guarantee that it will play in Fallout's engine. It has quirks. Anyway, let me know if you need any more help.

• 11 months later...

You once showed an example of a well. The main question is how you realized the rope?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0hADPFPWd1CaFhzMXdpaVVCNXc/edit

The scaling has only it's coefficient without specifying the coordinate axes.

• 1 year later...

People don't flip out if i bring this old topic back! I'm just saying that i really want to use this tutorial but the images posted aren't showing. So i barely understand what it is saying.

Edited by joebenz

• 6 months later...

PM the author. He's the only one who can fix the image links.

You might also suggest this would be better off as a wiki article. Then he could upload the images to the Nexus. Tell him I'd be happy to help.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

I would be fine if I knew about this kind of stuff, but I'm super new to animating for Skyrim, even Oblivion. but I did give the author a PM about it after I tried the tutorial. to be honest I kinda wish there were more tutorials out there of this kind of stuff. I've also gotta learn the collisions for the objects aswell. :/

Edited by TFCGWolf

Managed to go through the tutorial and get it working. but once I put it into creation kit it crashed.
I dont have any collisions cause each time I attempt to it comes out too small or crashes the system.
anyways, heres the file. no idea where to go from here to fix it or even get the collisions to work: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5RVv4zaYv2rbFoybml2WXRZMzA/view?usp=sharing