Can armor mashups be made with Outfit Studio?

Siegtorias

I put together an armor by importing nifs into Outfit Studio and making them fit. I wanted to make the Vault 13 vault suit more tribal to go along with the proper font texture. However, when I replace the nif it either makes the game crash upon equipping it or makes the body invisible if a skeleton is imported too. Is it possible to use Outfit Studio like in Fallout 4, or should I start over with Blender?

Outfit Studio was ported to Fallout New Vegas long after the modding scene for FNV had matured. Very few FNV modders use it, so there isn't much information out there about it. I personally don't use it and have no idea how well it works, or if it works at all. The last I heard it was buggy as all heck, but that was a long time ago. Since it isn't popular among FNV modders we don't hear much about it on the forums, so it's difficult to know what issues people have with it and what fixes people have come up with.

You'll probably have a much easier time with Blender. More modders use it so you'll get better support here and there are a lot of better tutorials out there.

FO3 and FNV use basically the same engine. There is one quirk that hats and hairs get rotated by 90 degrees between the two games, but otherwise what works for FO3 will also work for FNV. You can look for any Blender armor or clothing tutorials for either FO3 or FNV.

While there are nif tools available for newer versions of Blender, if you want your armor to actually work, make sure you use Blender 2.49b.

I'll try that instead, thank you! Outfit Studio made it really easy to put the armor together and export but it must be adding something not meant for NV. When I made armor for Skyrim, I used Blender 2.8 by using Outfit Studio to convert nifs to fbx and back again, but for this it's probably best to follow the tutorials to the letter.