⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Update on NMM version 0.60 and FAQ

Dark0ne

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #28797534. #28797764, #28799519 are all replies on the same post.

silfo2015 wrote: Sorry to post this here but I don't seem to be able to use the bug tracker.

I installed version 60.3. I like having the links to LOOT, BOSS, and FNIS built in. And I think I will generally like it when all's done.

Here's what seems to be my current stumbling block: FNIS stops running with "ERROR(76): Could not find a part of the path 'c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\meshes\actors\character\character assets female\skeleton_female.hkx"

I looked in my files and saw the folder "character assets" is not included in the folder "character" but when I fix that and run FNIS again I get a different error message referring to the same file in another location. So, I gave up since I really don't know what I'm doing. But that's where I'm currently stopped.

Just thought I'd let you know the status over here. Thanks for the work you're doing.
aramil31 wrote: I think this new version is installing files in a different location by default, I had to manually set it to install them in the "Data" folder.

I also had to delete every mod and reinstall them from the archives because of that new file location, I was getting the same sorts of errors as you got.
Kalell wrote: @aramil31 So there is an option to switch back to installing mods directly to a games folder? That makes me feel a whole lot better. I will probably make backups of my game installs and plugin lists and give it a try now. I've been asking about this for a while and nobody had answered. Thank you for your comment, and kudos to you. =)

When you first install the new build, it asks where it should install the mod archives and whatnot. IIRC, it's on that page.

A really neat update, though as quite a few others have had happened it ended up breaking my Skyrim. Thankfully I could narrow it down without too much trouble and it was a matter of reinstalling the mod causing the crash in question(Climates of Tamriel, it didn't reinstall properly so my other mods couldn't call on it properly. I'm wondering if this is just an anomaly within the transfer process, though I'm curious as to whether NMM has a feature in which it saves specific set upon installation of a mod through it. Perhaps some enlightenment on this?

EDIT: After diving a bit deeper, I found it was even more broken than I anticipated. I'm going to attempt to reinstall my mods and see if this fixes my issues. I'm sad to say I have to abandon the character I had been working on for a while, but I'm going to grit my teeth and bear it for now. If I get more issue I will probably update this post.

Edited by GeohoundJason

In response to post #28799344.

Vyxenne wrote:

Dear Dark One:

Sometimes, I think it is difficult to see the forest because all the trees are in the way. I just read your post above, and would like to offer you a different perspective- MY perspective as a long-time Nexus fan.

You said you were surprised that so many people just blindly accepted the NMM upgrade. This is because over the years, NMM has been largely stable and trouble-free, and a tremendous help to us in managing our mods- and much more user-friendly than MO. Each upgrade has been an improvement over the previous version, and we have received upgrades quite frequently. In other words, based on years of good releases, we trusted you, your expertise and your "product." Based on that trust, when NMM said an upgrade was available, we didn't think twice: click, click, clicketty-click. The outrage now is largely because you betrayed our trust with NMM 0.6.

You said that there were warnings in the new version that should have tipped us off that this upgrade was dangerous (my paraphrasing). You're exactly right: the warnings were IN THE NEW VERSION and came only after it was far too late to back out of the upgrade- our Skyrim was already bricked by the time we got the warnings. As someone posted in the Boo thread, the warnings are on the inside of the can. The only choices at that point were [No] or [Cancel] and manually install all your mods (because NMM has already trashed them) or [Yes] to continue and let NMM *try* to fix your system. Epic fail. The warning should have been BEFORE IT WAS TOO LATE TO BACK OUT AND LEAVE OUR PAINSTAKINGLY-ASSEMBLED AND NURTURED WORKING GAME INSTALLATION INTACT.

You said in the Boo thread, sarcastically, "...or you could go here [link] for help" but the "here" is undocumented, not linked to from anywhere that I can find, not returned in a Google search for "Nexus Mod Manager Support" and particularly not conspicuously linked to from within the NMM interface as far as I can see (Of course, I have never needed NMM support before, so I have not searched diligently for a support link within NMM, and based on what it just did to me, there is no way I'm going to open NMM 0.6 ever again in my lifetime.) Especially with a "potentially destructive release" like NMM 0.60 that deliberately destroys our working game installation and *hopes to* reconstruct it but has ZERO revert or undo capability, there should have been before-the-destruction warnings. On a so-called "beta" product (0.60 is more like a pre-alpha release, but I digress), there should be a conspicuous [sUPPORT] button on the NMM Header. We are merely users. We do not spend all day, every day, dealing with The Nexus and/or Nexus Mod Manager. How are we supposed to know about hidden "support" forums when they are not conspicuously linked to from Nexus mod pages and/or the Nexus Forums pages, and not returned in Google searches using the logical search terms?

You seem to be complaining that nobody read the "Site News." Where is that? Even when you mentioned it in your post here, you did not provide a link to it. There is no [sITE NEWS] button on this page's header frame, nor is there a "Site News" sticky at http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?. Again, we don't spend all day every day here, and don't know where to go for what unless someone who DOES spend all day every day here helps us by providing conspicuous links.

So, half a day after the rogue NMM update acted like malware and destroyed my Skyrim installation with no way to opt out of it until it was already too late and no revert or undo function whatsoever, I STILL do not know how to reach the alleged page that details a recovery process. All I know for sure is that you think these things should be obvious to your users and supporters- but they are not only not obvious, they seem to have been hidden by design- otherwise there would be conspicuous links to them everywhere on the Nexus.

Hope this helps clear up some of your bafflement regarding the reasons for the uproar, confusion and outrage resulting from the NMM 0.6 disaster. I, personally, feel blindsided and betrayed by an old friend. It would really be great if you could stop developing NMM for a few days and write a recovery tool to help those of us whose games you trashed revert to the pre-NMM 0.60 condition.

This deserves attention. Exactly how I feel.

Though I'm not completely angry, nor am I going to stop using NMM 0.6, I feel like you summed up what a lot of people are feeling here, including me. Thank you for wording it in a way that is not only attention-grabbing, but also informative.

I can only surmise this issue is being caused by NMM itself as it wasn't happening before the update.

I had done everything for the NMM update for my New Vegas game, however something from the update has rendered my game completely unplayable. Before I even see the main menu, I get popups from mods I have installed, which doesn't SOUND like much of an issue until you realize that they CANNOT be closed if they open before the game is even loaded.

With this happening, I can't get to the game's main menu to simply just play the game. I've done everything I can think of outside of a complete reinstall of my game and all my mods.

In response to post #28793429. #28793509, #28794449 are all replies on the same post.

ds777 wrote: This is un forgivable! My game has been RUINED!!! I"m MAD as HELL!!!!!! And I have to rebuild what I had! You really should have warned your NMM users about this before hand! Some of us were not ready and some of us were in the middle of playing the friggin game only to have it ruined because of this update!!!5\ I'm so mad beyond words!!!!
ds777 wrote: why are they removing posts? where is my original post???? I did not break any rules why is it deleted???
toonamove wrote: Same here here.

So just let me says one thing:

1) Thanks I have a full backup of old NMM and Skyrim game, so I easily have recovered everything back to work.

2) I not blame about the fact of improvements you made on new version of the NMM, but you HAD to consider the major mess that's "update" can make on many peoples such as me who have their game heavily modded, so hate posts are just the results of your actions, as you HAD to imagine it can happens as dozens of ppl have their game messed up, as modding the game any is, involve not only merely mod installations, but a order to install and editing (for ex: the RealVision mod)of files and many othere settings, with out counting hours if not days spent for testing and fixing your game, so think that' can justify peoples anger, aside you have warned on the last version installation process.

So just for entitle my opinion, no hatepost, no trying to make drama.

Maybe you can consider to release a "easy version" where can keep old 56.1 system and just convert to new system, with out losing everything or have to complete reinstall every mods. As i have already finished to reinstall Skyrim game and finally set up all stuff, do everything again, can be enough frustrating to me to not plays anymore if I had to do it again, so I hope aside I can respect your work, you can understand peoples anger.

Sincerely, Toonamove.

Umm.. You yourself are responsible for what you do to your computer. The updates aren't forced, only recommended. Read what they do before you update. There's noone to blame but yourself.
Me i'm running on 0.60.0.9d now AND on WIN X.. and it seems to work just great for me. Sure there have been some drawbacks and undesired CTD's and such. But that's propably due to badly composed loadorders and incompatible Mods... But i suppose there's as many different computer setups as there are mod users so there's bound to be drawbacks for some ppl. I'm considering to upgrade to 60.3 but i wanna have a read about the changes first... / Slaintë lads and lasses.

the new nmm messed things up as well, did a clean install with all updated mods , updated drivers ect.

nmm is just hanging and not installing mods right, missing textures ect. I also tried this months ago in testing and a lot of the same problems. and asked questions and tried to report bugs and never got a reply. so I really don't post a lot of stuff, but thought I should seeing only about 40 bug reports. I suspect more people are having problems then being reported. BUT we was warned there could be problems, and make back ups, and I'm not complaining at all...death threats, that's so stupid...so what

another clean install and start over, wish I had a dollar for every time ive done that......lol. nmm is still a nice program....thanks.

my specs...

z97s krait mobo

i7 4790k

gtx 980 ti

8 gig 2133 MHz memory

750 gold psu

Ok, got surprised by the update but I can understand the changes.

As with many others got a few issues which I've gradually sorted, ETAC as with others needed uninstalling and reinstalling to get Loot to see all of it i.e. the resources. A few others mods including xp32 needed reinstalling before FNIS would run in this case missing skeleton.

At this point I've got FNIS and Loot to run successfully with 204 active mods - two hours to uninstall and reinstall. I managed to get Skyrim to stop crashing instantly before getting to the menu - from past experience that usually means it's missing a dependency so something didn't reinstall correctly after reinstalling a mod but still missing quite a lot judging from the number of missing items in the papyrus file.

Thought I'd try loading my last save game, got a nice message saying I was missing few esm flles - almost all of them in fact :sad: looks like the automated reinstall didn't work or didn't register them in the profile correctly.

edit: btw bodyslide didn't reinstall correctly either. Looks like I'll be going through all my mods again uninstalling and reinstalling.

Edited by Pugwash2004

In response to post #28799344. #28799979 is also a reply to the same post.

Vyxenne wrote:

Dear Dark One:

Sometimes, I think it is difficult to see the forest because all the trees are in the way. I just read your post above, and would like to offer you a different perspective- MY perspective as a long-time Nexus fan (I have been using my husband's account for years and only recently established my own Nexus account.)

You said you were surprised that so many people just blindly accepted the NMM upgrade. This is because over the years, NMM has been largely stable and trouble-free, and a tremendous help to us in managing our mods- and much more user-friendly than MO. Each upgrade has been an improvement over the previous version, and we have received upgrades quite frequently. In other words, based on years of good releases, we trusted you, your expertise and your "product." Based on that trust, when NMM said an upgrade was available, we didn't think twice: click, click, clicketty-click. The outrage now is largely because you betrayed our trust with NMM 0.6.

You said that there were warnings in the new version that should have tipped us off that this upgrade was dangerous (my paraphrasing). You're exactly right: the warnings were IN THE NEW VERSION and came only after it was far too late to back out of the upgrade- our Skyrim was already bricked by the time we got the warnings. As someone posted in the Boo thread, the warnings are on the inside of the can. The only choices at that point were [No] or [Cancel] and manually install all your mods (because NMM has already trashed them) or [Yes] to continue and let NMM *try* to fix your system. Epic fail. The warning should have been BEFORE IT WAS TOO LATE TO BACK OUT AND LEAVE OUR PAINSTAKINGLY-ASSEMBLED AND NURTURED WORKING GAME INSTALLATION INTACT. However, in all fairness, even had I received clear warnings of the impending destruction in time to leave my system intact, I probably would've clicked [YES] anyway because I trusted you and never imagined you folks would unleash something so destructive on your fans and supporters. Only in hindsight did it become clear to me what I should have done. The warning should, at the very least, have been clearer about the imminent destruction and included a strong recommendation to quit NMM now and back up our entire game installation.

You said in the Boo thread, sarcastically, "...or you could go here [link] for help" but the "here" is undocumented, not linked to from anywhere that I can find, not returned in a Google search for "Nexus Mod Manager Support" and particularly not conspicuously linked to from within the NMM interface as far as I can see (Of course, I have never needed NMM support before, so I have not searched diligently for a support link within NMM, and based on what it just did to me, there is no way I'm going to open NMM 0.6 ever again in my lifetime.) Especially with a "potentially destructive release" like NMM 0.60 that deliberately destroys our working game installation and *hopes to* reconstruct it but has ZERO revert or undo capability, there should have been before-the-destruction warnings. On a so-called "beta" product (0.60 acted more like a pre-alpha release, but I digress), there should be a conspicuous [sUPPORT] button on the NMM Header. We are merely users. We do not spend all day, every day, dealing with The Nexus and/or Nexus Mod Manager. How are we supposed to know about hidden "support" forums when they are not conspicuously linked to from Nexus mod pages and/or the Nexus Forums pages, and not returned in Google searches using the logical search terms?

You seem to be complaining that nobody read the "Site News." Where is that? Even when you mentioned it in your post here, you did not provide a link to it. There is no [sITE NEWS] button on this page's header frame, nor is there a "Site News" sticky at http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?. Again, we don't spend all day every day here, and don't know where to go for what unless someone who DOES spend all day every day here helps us by providing conspicuous links.

So, half a day after the rogue NMM update acted like malware and destroyed my Skyrim installation with no way to opt out of it until it was already too late and no revert or undo function whatsoever, I STILL do not know how to reach the alleged page that details a recovery process. All I know for sure is that you think these things should be obvious to your users and supporters- but they are not only not obvious, they seem to have been hidden by design- otherwise there would be conspicuous links to them everywhere on the Nexus.

Hope this helps clear up some of your bafflement regarding the reasons for the uproar, confusion and outrage resulting from the NMM 0.6 disaster. I, personally, feel blindsided and betrayed by an old friend. It would really be great if you could stop developing NMM for a few days and write a recovery tool to help those of us whose games you trashed revert to the pre-NMM 0.60 condition.

Zettadude wrote: This deserves attention. Exactly how I feel.

Though I'm not completely angry, nor am I going to stop using NMM 0.6, I feel like you summed up what a lot of people are feeling here, including me. Thank you for wording it in a way that is not only attention-grabbing, but also informative.

I agreed totally with you and your words and feelings.

Yes a "recovery tool" can be really useful for fixing and helping everyone have their game mess up after the last NMM version update.

I can suggest to adding on the future versions a button for "importing" old NMM versions settings and mods dirs with another button for converting to the new NMM system after have imported users configs, but without touching games dirs or uninstalling mods.

Also adding a automatic backup system before the new installed version is started or starting to made any kind of changes, sounds very necessary, for avoid this kind of mess for everyone, and preserve every users modded games.

Toonamove Edited by toonamove

In response to post #28793429. #28793509, #28794449, #28800694 are all replies on the same post.

ds777 wrote: This is un forgivable! My game has been RUINED!!! I"m MAD as HELL!!!!!! And I have to rebuild what I had! You really should have warned your NMM users about this before hand! Some of us were not ready and some of us were in the middle of playing the friggin game only to have it ruined because of this update!!!5\ I'm so mad beyond words!!!!
ds777 wrote: why are they removing posts? where is my original post???? I did not break any rules why is it deleted???
toonamove wrote: Same here here.

So just let me says one thing:

1) Thanks I have a full backup of old NMM and Skyrim game, so I easily have recovered everything back to work.

2) I not blame about the fact of improvements you made on new version of the NMM, but you HAD to consider the major mess that's "update" can make on many peoples such as me who have their game heavily modded, so hate posts are just the results of your actions, as you HAD to imagine it can happens as dozens of ppl have their game messed up, as modding the game any is, involve not only merely mod installations, but a order to install and editing (for ex: the RealVision mod)of files and many othere settings, with out counting hours if not days spent for testing and fixing your game, so think that' can justify peoples anger, aside you have warned on the last version installation process.

So just for entitle my opinion, no hatepost, no trying to make drama.

Maybe you can consider to release a "easy version" where can keep old 56.1 system and just convert to new system, with out losing everything or have to complete reinstall every mods. As i have already finished to reinstall Skyrim game and finally set up all stuff, do everything again, can be enough frustrating to me to not plays anymore if I had to do it again, so I hope aside I can respect your work, you can understand peoples anger.

Sincerely, Toonamove.
pegueng wrote: Umm.. You yourself are responsible for what you do to your computer. The updates aren't forced, only recommended. Read what they do before you update. There's noone to blame but yourself.
Me i'm running on 0.60.0.9d now AND on WIN X.. and it seems to work just great for me. Sure there have been some drawbacks and undesired CTD's and such. But that's propably due to badly composed loadorders and incompatible Mods... But i suppose there's as many different computer setups as there are mod users so there's bound to be drawbacks for some ppl. I'm considering to upgrade to 60.3 but i wanna have a read about the changes first... / Slaintë lads and lasses.

You WERE warned. If you read the prior news posting you would see it. You have no excuse, tldr doesn't fly here. I can admit Dark0ne has some long-winded posts, but again, the warning was there. Along with the installer warning you with big red letters to read below.