Remote detonation in FO3?

Ironman5000

I would like to add C4 explosives to a mod of mine in FO3 the same way it works in NV but the option isn't available readily in the geck. Has anyone looked into a decent workaround maybe a script?

It would just need to prevent a thrown object from exploding until the player activates/fires another weapon which I would make the detonator.

That's it! Sounds simple but noone seems to have done a decent job of it yet...or I have just not found one.

I have found a few attempts but looking at the feedback they appear to be inconsistent or impractical.

What about an item that you place on the ground (Could be any item - just attach a script that tells it to place it on the ground when equipped). Then have a separate remote which adds an explosion effect to the item you placed on the ground once equipped.

I'm not sure how it works in Fallout, but in Oblivion you could add a spell effect to an object and it would go off. I reckon something similar can be done in Fallout?

The placement of the C4 could be done similar to how it is done in Realtime Settlers - so you see the C4 while placing it, and then you just press fire to place it or something like that.

The remote could work the same way a gun works, but instead of shooting, it activates the C4.

I did think about maybe adding destruction data to a misc item which could be made as the C4, I could look at a script that drops it when activated in the inventory screen. Then I would need a script that could be attached to the detonator 'gun' which would set the C4 health to 0 when fired (give it something like 10 hp and 1 damage stage)

I haven't played with RTS yet...so that mod has functioning C4? I tried to get it but can't seem to download from that site for some reason :unsure:

Edited by Ironman5000

I haven't played with RTS yet...so that mod has functioning C4? I tried to get it but can't seem to download from that site for some reason :unsure:

Oh, no - I meant as in how they place the buildings and such. So you can see the transparent object while in "placement" mode. The same could be done for the C4 - so you go into placement mode when you equip/activate it. Could make for some cool things like placing a sticky C4 on a wall or something. And if not, it could just be placed on the ground where the player stands.

Rather than try to use destruction data, use PlaceAtMe to place an explosion on it.
Have a quest script with a variable that is set by your trigger weapon
The dropped object script monitors the quest variable:
trigger weapon sets it to 1
Dropped/placed object does a placeatme of the FragGrenade explosion (same as C4 does), then sets the quest variable back, disables its own script with a 'Do Once', and then disables itself from visibility.

Have other conditions on the misc item and trigger item too - if the player is carrying it (GetContainer==player) then it ignores the trigger, or the trigger doesn't set the quest variable if the item isn't dropped. Also a way to prevent more than one placed at a time - or then it will get more complicated.

Oh, no - I meant as in how they place the buildings and such. So you can see the transparent object while in "placement" mode. The same could be done for the C4 - so you go into placement mode when you equip/activate it. Could make for some cool things like placing a sticky C4 on a wall or something. And if not, it could just be placed on the ground where the player stands.

Oh ok I see now, I actually remember Wasteland Defence doing something like this, I could look at the scripts for these two mods and go from there. If I am not mistaken those mods deal with statics so to make C4 sticky I will have to look at disabling havok somehow after placement maybe.

Rather than try to use destruction data, use PlaceAtMe to place an explosion on it.

Have a quest script with a variable that is set by your trigger weapon

The dropped object script monitors the quest variable:

trigger weapon sets it to 1

Dropped/placed object does a placeatme of the FragGrenade explosion (same as C4 does), then sets the quest variable back, disables its own script with a 'Do Once', and then disables itself from visibility.

Have other conditions on the misc item and trigger item too - if the player is carrying it (GetContainer==player) then it ignores the trigger, or the trigger doesn't set the quest variable if the item isn't dropped. Also a way to prevent more than one placed at a time - or then it will get more complicated.

The placeatme explosion does make more sense actually...however my scripting skills are still very much at novice level and I would have to research how to compile all of this, at the moment I am mostly looking at existing scripts and adapting them to cater for what I want them to do instead of typing them from scratch.

It does all make to me (I would have been :wallbash: a couple of months age so i'm getting better) it's just getting the script structure correct, but if you or anyone else wanted to help out with it feel free. :smile:

I believe that Talkie Toaster did something like that in his Playing with Firepower mod for FNV. Might want to take a look at how that works. He has chained explosives that fire off one after another. I'm not positive, but his Fo3 version might also do that. Worth a look at least.