How does Fallout 4 engine work?

Ah, this reminds me of work.

Lots of "workarounds" instead of fixing the actual problem ...

Same as any software project ever.

Oh trust me, it happens in hardware too!

(It is easier to fix something in software then to redesign the hardware of a device / product)

But yes, that "we need to meet the deadline" - mentality is really bad for people who actually care about the "product" and not just about "meeting the deadline and geting $$$.

Hmmm ...

Maybe we should like try to buy the rights for the Engine and all the tools off of the developers and try to improve it ourselves ...

Nah, that will probably never happen ...

Oh well, this is getting offtopic again (it always does ...)

Cooking with the ingredients you have and making do is part of the fun

It depends.

For just "messing around" and, yes.

A complete lack of documentation makes it a great challenge.

But not for actually working with the CK and trying to do stuff, no.

Making mods in the CK for me is just like developing a game in another engine, I treat it as "work", like I have a specific thing in my head and I want to get that into the game.

isn't fo4 the fastest created game in bet history? From the moment the Skyrim engine was reworked until the release of the game, it is less than a year, or in general, something about 7 months. What can be done in such a period? Many quality games have been made for years, sometimes a decade. But I like ce. The only problem I see is that it is a closed engine. Modmakers are thrown pitiful crumbs instead of information. And modmakers skilled enough to intuitively reverse engineer bethesda's tools and techniques have never felt the urge to share information with others. It's just ... All people don't give a damn about each other from above and below. And that's okay. )

It's just ... All people don't give a damn about each other from above and below. And that's okay. )

No, that is not ok, that is just sad ...

I second that.

I wish this community would be more like the AutoCAD/LiSP community. I understand there is usually a lot of time involved to get things done, let alone to explain and help others, time desperately needed to work on 'our own projects', but we would all be able to do and learn so much more, with far less frustration to figure it out or just being unable to.

Just like with acad&lisp, I do try to help others where I can, 'cause I learn a lot myself that way, but I only know so little, yet.

Actually its the only thing I've done for the past few weeks. As I needed a break from my own project while still learn about how to get it all done, or just improve my skills at it.

I wish this community would be more like the AutoCAD/LiSP community. I understand there is usually a lot of time involved to get things done,

Well, AutoCAD is a "tool" (software) that can be used to design stuff, that is the purpose of that software.

It is a serious professional design software.

The CK is "just for modding games" ...

Maybe most people don't take the time to share / document their knowledge because "it is just modding a game", it is not "serious work".

But for some people it is "serious work" and they would like to use the CK and other modding tools to get what ideas they have in their mind into the game.

So mod-development and game development are pretty much the same.

(Mod development is even harder then gamedev because when developing a game "from scratch" you have control over everything unlike moddev where you need to adhere to unwritten rules and use tools that have only a few sentences of documentation)

And "game development" is "work", so why wouldn't "mod development" be considered "less serious of work"?

I don't get it ...

If somebody asked you what you do all day and you reply: "I develop games", you would get "ah, that is a lot of complicated work" as an answer.

But if you answered with "I make mods for fallout 4", you would probably not get the same response despite the fact that mod-development is often harder then game-development (because of lack of documentation, ...).

Sorry for the rant, I just had to get all of that out ...

Sometimes it is hard to deal with all the frustration ...

The point is, modding is not a job. People do this for their own pleasure or for the sake of vanity, recognition by the community of consumers of these mods in the form of likes and complimentary comments. There is no more reason. ) Game developers, companies like bethesda, do it for the money. This is a job, and it is well paid. Modmakers do not do what will bring them profit, but what they want to do. But everyone has different desires. For example, it is obvious that people who animate for aaf know best about bones and bone animation, but they do not care about people who make clothes, and they are not interested in weapons.For instance. I'm primarily interested in the construction site (at the moment, a universal and easy way to insert my animated meshes as furniture) and the body (I made myself a custom body with all possible bones and now I'm looking for information on working with the head). But I have little interest in clothing, weapons and everything that I can do myself. Therefore, the fact that people are in no hurry to help each other is not strange. This is the order of the day. All I would like is for experienced modmakers to sometimes not be lazy and write manuals "for dummies" about how they got these or those results.

Just because something is "not done for money" doesn't mean that it can't be great and awsome.

"It is profitable" isn't a requirement for people to work on things (just lookup some open source software stuff if you need examples) and do great things.

Lots of people are willing to work on things (in their free time), just because they want to, not because of some financial gain.

So I don't really get what you are trying to say ...

I am sure there are some people out there who do game dev "just for fun".

So why not remake the CE (other then copyright and legal stuff, of course) to be everything it could be?

Why not take the "missed opportunity" that is this engine and make it into something great?

I mean, we only would need to change a few things (like increase the worldspace size limit, fix some stuff, fix previs/precombine optimization stuff, ...)

----------------------

I agree, not everybody wants to know everything, but everybody should be able to look everything up (if needed).

The forum is great and all, but what if somebody who knows something leaves the modding community and that knowledge "leaves" with them?

You can't "ask" somebody who isn't around any more ...

That's why we need some place where we can document all of this modding stuff.

Therefore, the fact that people are in no hurry to help each other is not strange.

Well, some people "dissapear" before they share their knowledge and experience.

I know, documenting things is tedious and takes time, but just think about all the people who might gain something from that documentation.

The thought of actually contributing something is motivation enough, for me at least ;-)

If I ever publish any mods, I will publish documentation on how and why I did things along with it.

The point is not that people do something for free. Of course they do. The bottom line is that everyone does what he likes to do himself, not what the community needs from him. The girl who makes clothes to dress up cbbe in a barbie and take screenshots of it against the background of garbage dumps has nothing to do with a 40-year-old man doing another brutal rape animation on weekends. Ahaha. ) All the guys, in the sense of modmakers, are simply not very interesting to each other. If you look at the work of the most advanced modmakers, you will see that they rarely collaborate with anyone. They have learned to do what they are specifically interested in, and they have no motivation to cooperate with someone else who will distract them from their interests.Even more. I myself know several modmakers who got involved with some kind of common projects, but eventually got tired of the pressure and the need to do what they want from them, and not what they themselves want. And they fled to other engines. Edited by South8028

Ahhhh, I get what you are saying!

I am also not the person who would "work together" with other people on modding projects, I have to do enough of that "at work".

Modding is where I can do "my own thing", because there is no "right way" to do things (for example: everybody has a different idea of what the perfect player home should be)

But something like trying to recreate (or to fix) the CE, where there is an actual "right way" (or better an "right end result") could be something that a few people could work on together.

I would (I have some C and C++ knowledge) like to help on such a project. (but like I said before, this will sadly probably never happen because of legal reasons)