Odd sound/video stuttering

Been noticing some issues lately, but cannot really find the cause.

It doesn't matter if it's in a game or if playing music through Winamp, I seem to get this sort of stuttering thing happen (like a sound gets drawn out sounding mechanical, occasionally cutting out before continuing where it should). The only thing I can think of is that it might be a hint of some hardware failure in the future, or some sort of driver instability.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

try setting your sound card or on-board audio back to default if its not already

in task manager go to processes tab - view (top bar) columns and select pf delta, I/O read bytes,I/O write bytes and see what happens during a normal load then put one of the games that have a problem in windowed mode with the task manager in view on the other side of the screen and see if there are any massive increases or spikes in any of the 3 new columns(sort but the new columns) if there is find out the process name AND GOOGLE IT FIRST honestly you can cause more problems buy just blindly ending processes

also try the resource manager from task manger go to performance tab and its down the bottom look for frequent spikes

if you see spikes then try to find out what process is causing it and what it is relating to (what program uses the process)

you may find it is a monitoring program do you have any programs installed that check temperature or performance

do you have any gaming mouse/keyboard i have found the program that tells my pc how charged my mouse is spikes like this which causes lockups sound problems like a quick mechanical squeak

good luck

Edited by vincenexus

First things first, reinstall your audio drivers.

Then try listening to music with headphones plugged into the computer's headphone jack. If the problem persists over headphones, and after reinstalling drivers, then you're looking at a soundcard problem, just as others have suggested. If, however, it sounds perfectly fine over headphones, then there is nothing wrong with your soundcard.

The next thing to check is your speakers themselves. A loose speaker plug will do it everytime. Also check the speaker cables for places where the cable may have been pinched or damaged. If you're using an optical SPIDF cable, check for tight bends in the cable (optical cables are not suppose to be tightly bent, as this breaks the glass inside). In fact, try it with a replacement SPIDF cable to see what it does. And if all else fails, just get new speakers.

Vagrant0.

This sounds very familiar! And… Did we not have a lot of this in the new now old oblivion days? Certainly I remember it with Morrowind.

What was happening then, especially with Morrowind, was that the game was eating up monstrous portions of CPU time. In order to compensate, the computer would start dropping lower-level tasks. When the sound started to go, I just saved my game rebooted the computer and started up where I left off.

Oblivion was not quite as processor intensive as Morrowind, but if I was in game for a long period of time, once again, the sound would begin to fade. It became a sort of ghost in the machine reminder, that anything over two hours in game, the sound would begin to fade again.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe that in Skyrim, Bethesda is still using the same game engine, even if it is updated that caused these problems before!

I agree with my old friend Dark Warrior, especially in his first paragraph. Perhaps the hardware has changed, or even the game engine, and those old problems are not coming back to haunt us. Still, you could look into dropping a few mods and/or other things to see if reducing the load on Skyrim makes a difference.

I really could be lost at sea here, and you would most certainly be my honored guest in correcting me.

Storm Raven

:cool:

I did not mean to double post, and it seems to me there used to be a way to just delete your post. So please forgive me, in all sincerity! If there is a way to just delete your post. Would someone please tell me!

Thank you,

Storm Raven

:confused: