The BIG upgrade

Hey all,

Less than a week ago I bought a brand new Nvidia motherboard and a 2.5Ghz Intel Quad-Core processor. This is a 64 bit processor and I was wondering if any of you knew off the tops of your heads, wether or not the 32 bit version of Windows XP would run on it. And if it WILL work, will I be getting all the performance potential out of it? Thanks for the advice.

Hey all,

Less than a week ago I bought a brand new Nvidia motherboard and a 2.5Ghz Intel Quad-Core processor. This is a 64 bit processor and I was wondering if any of you knew off the tops of your heads, wether or not the 32 bit version of Windows XP would run on it. And if it WILL work, will I be getting all the performance potential out of it? Thanks for the advice.

You can run 32 bit windows XP on a 64 bit processor... Actually, I am since I didn't feel like dropping the money for windows 64 when I re-built my rig.

That said, you won't be getting all the performance potential out of it since the 32 bit version doesn't have the programming to really make use of the 64 bit architecture. But, this really doesn't mean very much in the long run since most programs that work with XP also don't really make use of 64 bit architecture, even if you have a 64 bit windows installed. It's really just semantics, is it optimum performance... no, does it matter... not really. It's only a problem if you're some tech head who is determined to push his system to its limits, in which case, windows is not exactly the best choice of OS. I would deal with what you have available, if games are requiring 2ghz processors at this point, you may probably need to do another upgrade in a year or two anyway. And by then, Windows 7 will be out, and hopefully be less of a disappointment than Vista.

I thinks its worth it, i switched to the 64bit windows awhile a go and you do notice a 10 frames jump in games, especially crysis for instants. In windows 32bit there is also a 2gb cap in ram, if you have more then that there will be buggyness and your system can get very unstable.

i suggest you switch.

Thor, Vagrant,

I appreciate the input guys. You've both been very helpful. :thanks:

Archived