Alternative Basic Attacks

BlackZero500

Hello there,

ive played a long time with this mod https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/2058 and since ive started playing my Knight Enchanter with a onehanded magic blade i had no use for it anymore. Now ive got a good idea. How about a mod that adds the primary basic attack from the mod i mentioned as a secondary attack for onehanded blades? AI would not use it so its only for a Inquisitor with a Blade. So i could hit enemys with my sword and also shoot magic missiles out of my free hand.

I may already have something for this, but it's a bit involved.

I play a rogue/mage combo class character, so most of my personal mods are built around that.

I really wanted my character to not equip a staff (and equip a dagger instead), but still be able to use Wavebend's mod. What I ended up doing was swapping out the primary hand's placeholder/unequipped weapon for my character with an invisible staff, and I just equip him with one dagger on the off-hand. This means the game recognizes that he is equipping a staff, and that allows me to use Wavebend's modified mage attack as a normal attack.

I was leery of remapping the primary mage attack at all and breaking Wavebend's mod, since it modifies several files itself.

After I did this, I realized I still wanted to be able to do basic dagger attacks, which I now couldn't because the game was (rightfully) seeing a staff in my character's primary weapon slot.

I ended up mapping the basic dagger attack to a new skill under the dagger tree, so it can be learned/hotkeyed, and used in addition to the modded mage attack.

Some small consequences of this:

1) I did have to remove the dagger requirement from all dagger skills for my character to use them (since the game thinks he's wielding a staff and would otherwise bar him from activating these skills).

2) Since the invisible staff is a placeholder weapon, you're locked in to what its effects/element are. I had some fun with this giving this weapon extra effects and deciding what would be my character's preferred element

3) In my case, using one dagger in the offhand looked wonky initially, but I discovered swapping the actual bodyslots for the weapon slots fixed this. Now he sheaths the one dagger in the middle of his back, instead of awkwardly to one side. That does mean the slots on the inventory menu are also swapped, which actually makes more intuitive sense to me while playing-- to equip my character with a dagger in the offhand slot, I put it in what used to be the primary slot on the inventory screen.

I assume you're using a mod that lets your mage use a one-handed blade. If you like my weird solution enough, I can walk you through how to map the base sword attack to whatever skill tree you want. Unfortunately that does mean you lose a hotkey spot, but I was fine with that.

Edited by apomorph

Thanks for your explanation. One problem with your version is that this way i would have an empty right hand, and a sword in the left. But the Spirit Blade forms in the Left hand. I want the Sword in the Right so that when im casting spirit blade i am somewhat dual wielding magic blades. Im not really using a mod to use blades, im using Svartys Configurable Sword mod to change a Sword Schematic to look like Brand, have elemental Damage and the Prismatic Greatsword enchantment. That way it looks like a energyblade and i have only the hilt sheathed. So what i want is someone to leave the primary attack be, switch the primary attack from Wavebends mod to secondary and change it so that it does not work for staves but for one handed swords. Maybe i think its way easier than it is. i tried it myself but its all gibberish for me. Never made Mods in Frosty myself aside from changing a few values in Mass Effect Andromeda. It does not even have to be in Frosty. Im using Frosty and Daimod simultaniously so either would be good. Maybe someone can even make something like Svartys Configurable mods with this. Like you can choose which weapon type you use, which attack form will be primary and which will be secondary or something. would be cool. At first thought a Two handed Warrior comes to mind that could swing his huge sword with one hand as secondary attack. Would be faster, loose its aoe effect and maybe a bit weaker. But of course the Mage thing with a sword would be my priority for now :-)