Overwrite Files, Yes to all, Yes, No to all or No?

Systemlord30

As you can see there are five 2K Textures - Skyrim HD mods to activate below, the problem is after I activate the first four mods using NMM. When I try to activate the fifth mod which only comes in v1.6 I am asked, "Overwrite Files", "Yes to all", "Yes", "No to all" and "No". Which of the four choices should I be selecting and why to better understand? The other v1.5 mods are the latest versions. Another issue is I have already activated "Ruins Clutter Improved", yet it doesn't show up in the plug-ins. Why?
Thank you!

Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - Skyrim HD v1_5 FULL - Landscape by NebuLa

Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - Skyrim HD v1_5 FULL - Dungeons
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - Skyrim HD v1_5 FULL - Towns
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - Skyrim HD v1_5 FULL - Misc
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - Skyrim HD v1_6 FULL - Riften

When you have such conflicts you should also see "Yes to Mod" and "No to Mod" which I find is a better way to prioritise one mod over another. If you don't see these other 2 options then you've installed something without NMM that is conflicting with the newer mod.

As for Skyrim HD 2K - even though there are 2 numbered mod versions, 1.5 doesn't overwrite 1.6 and vice versa as 1.5 is the main part of the mod and 1.6 is just an update which also adds files for Riften. So if you didn't have this conflict, when installing 1.6 last NMM would state the same as it would after the first module was installed - something like: a version of this mod already exists, do you want to upgrade the mod - which you select no to add data while leaving the other mod intact.

As for the Ruins Clutter mod - maybe this is where the conflict is - but that depends on how you installed it. I see on the mod page that there are downloads for NMM version and loose files version so maybe you did the NMM-less one? Either way, texture mods don't neccessarily require a plugin file - they do if the textures are contained in .BSA file format (they need a matching active .ESP to run), but some texture mods don't use .BSA and provide the files in loose format (place this individual textures straight into the Data/Textures folder structure). Personally I'd always use NMM based installs if they're present as it's easier to let NMM manage your installs rather that do it all yourself. If you can remove the ruins clutter mod cleanly and ensure that you install the NMM version then it'll help you avoid mod / file conflicts such as the one you're having now.

So basically - perhaps try to clean up your Skyrim files and NMM downloads and installations - then try to install the HD 2K Riften again and if you see the exact same error again, look at which files are causing the errors (you can say "no" and individually see which files are involved) and hopefully you'll be able to determine what's causing the conflict and use that to clean your game up.

Edited by LargeStyle

I have been told NMM alone can't handle ENB mods, wish someone had told me this! Now I might have to uninstall Skyrim and NMM to start fresh, the only ENB mod I have installed is Ruins Clutter mod which doesn't show up in plug-ins like other mods do. All of the mods I was going to install were ENB mods, but now there not installing with NMM. You might go to my other thread Recommended Mods To Enhance Visual Realism

Edited by Systemlord30

I think you're getting a little confused here...

ENB is a pre and post processing visual mod that simple enhances the look of the lighting system. The Ruins Clutter mod is a retexture project. Two completely different things.

I've had a quick look at the thread you linked and I personally wouldn't go by the advice that you were given, in particular running batch files to install / uninstall ENB. The best demonstration of what you need to do has recently been posted by Gopher on his YouTube account...

Also, you can only have one ENB installed at a time. Obviously download and try out as many different ENB presets as you want, but try one and if / when you're ready to remove it follow the advice in the above video and move onto the next ENB.

As I said before - mods don't neccessarily used plugins so it's entirely possible that the Ruins Clutter mod doesn't hace an .esp plugin file. Recheck the mod page for installation instructions just to be sure.

EDIT: I've just downloaded Ruins Clutter mod it doesn't contain an .esp plugin - hence why you don't see one in NMM! So either use NMM to manage the loose files that the mod install otherwise you'll have to manually manage it yourself.

Edited by LargeStyle

I am using NMM, I had no idea that only one ENB could be used at a time. I was following the recommended mods quoted here in proper order under "Installation", "Recommended Mods". I'm reinstalling Skyrim and NMM now so as to start fresh, I take a look at that video now. Can I use one ENB mods with other mods?

If I were to upgrade my internet speed would Steam allow for faster downloading? It's taken an hour to DL 1.9GB of 9.5GB!

I really appreciate all of your help!

Systemlord.

Edited by Systemlord30

I was following the recommended mods quoted here in proper order under "Installation", "Recommended Mods". I'm reinstalling Skyrim and NMM now so as to start fresh, I take a look at that video now. Can I use one ENB mods with other mods?

You can install as many mods as you want, but just remember to use only 1 ENB at a time. In general, Skyrim has lots of mods that mod lots of different parts of the game so it takes time and experimentation to find mods that work well together. All the mods that are recommended on RealVision ENB mod page are for other mods that are simply recommended to use to make Skyrim look better, which can be run with RealVision ENB. Did that make sense?!?!

If I were to upgrade my internet speed would Steam allow for faster downloading? It's taken an hour to DL 1.9GB of 9.5GB!

Yes, providing a faster internet connection is available to you. I would recommend that you make a backup of Skyrim once it has download so you won't need to download it again. To do this, open Steam, click on "Steam" in the top left of the screen and select "Backup and Restore Games..." - select Skyrim and tell it where on your computer to store the game and it'll backup the game to your hard drive. If you ever need to reinstall Skyrim again you can restore it in Steam from your hard drive and it will be done in 5 minutes!

I really appreciate all of your help!

You're welcome!

This modding is very new to me so treat like a noob, I'm used to patch updates and clicking on "Play Now".

To your first reply I'm more confused than ever, so now we have NMM, RealVision ENB, and then the Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE)? I watched that video but you're going to have to explain which Mod Install Manager I should be using and then we can work on the Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE). I will not install mods manually. I think that would be to much for my brain to handle for now.

How are all of these programs supposed to work? I can't launch the game from three different loaders, I wish there was one thread that explained all these NMM, RealVision ENB, and then the Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE) with step by step visual instructions!

Second can I install the Skyrim backup to my HDD that I use only for storage? I primarily use my SSD for everything.

Thank you again, really!

Systemlord.

Edited by Systemlord30

Here's a good NMM tutorial if you need it...

Here's a good SKSE tutorial...

To clarify a couple of things...

You don't need to run NMM when you want to play Skyrim - you just use NMM to download and manage the mods. Once you have your mods downloaded and installed with NMM then the game is modded and can be played without NMM.

SKSE is only required if you want to use one or mods that needs SKSE installed. If a mod needs SKSE it will tell you this on the mods description page. I personally currently don't have any mods that need SKSE so I don't use it. If you want to use SKSE, simply follow the instructions as in the above video and when you want to play Skyrim don't start the game via Steam, you need to run the "skse_loader.exe" file instead and it will run Skyrim with SKSE enabled.

As for ENBseries, there are 2 "types" of ENB - Wrapper version and Injector version. Again follow the instructions in the first video which is based on the wrapper version, and once it's installed properly it will run automatically when you run Skyrim. Don't worry about the Injector version - chances are you won't need it and the Wrapper version will do everything that the Injector version does.

Yes you can backup Skyrim via Steam to any storage device. I have my Skyrim backed up on my external hard drive.

Why don't you use the SkyUI mod?

Can I use SKSE alongside either ENB or NMM?

What is your opinion about using ENB mods, are they worth it if visuals are important to you or can they be problematic at times?

Do you know how I might verify whether or not I'm using the latest version (1.9) of Skyrim, is there some folder that might contain this info?

I thank you for telling me about the backup of my game via Steam, that will make life much easier! Again thank you!

Edited by Systemlord30

1. Using or not using SkyUI is a personal preference, it is however the most endorsed mod of all time on the nexus... so plenty of people really like it, so do I.

2. Yes, SKSE is a simple script extender, and won't conflict with anything except Skyrim if your Skyrim isn't up to date or compatible with the SKSE version you are downloading.

3. Lots of people have and use ENB, but whether or not you should use them is dependent on your personal preference, as well as whether your PC is capable of running ENB presets, they are usually VERY resource heavy, and will choke a mediocre PC in a heartbeat to near unplayable frames per second.

4. If you're running Skyrim through Steam, then you should be up to date as Steam auto updates unless you're running it in offline mode. If you're running in offline mode, you would know it, because Steam is set to online by default on install. If you're running a non-steam version of the game, it's pirated, and thus, you can't be helped here, piracy is not supported on the nexus, and even someone helping someone who is pirating games can be banned for it. However, you CAN check the version number of your game by going into your Skyrim folder, and hovering over the TESV.exe, it will show the version number 1.x.xx.x

See these two threads about piracy:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/293557-piracy-and-you/

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/831372-non-steam-copy-of-a-steam-exclusive-game/