Skyrim

I am shopping used this is option 1:

msi gt683 dxr gaming laptop

Specs

I7 2630qm quad core processor
Nvidia gtx570m GPU
12 GB 4GB*3 Ram
1TB hard drive (2*500GB raid0)
LED panel 15.6 1080p full HD(glare type)

Will this have issues? I plan on modding it low end not like I did for my desktop.

Much thanks for any help and opinions.

Edited by Boone of the Wasteland

If they are the same price the first one you listed is far better (the one with a 570m is a MSI correct?).

A gtx 570m is many times better and can run most games (minus a few exceptions) in the high-ultra range @1920x1080.

I highly doubt the second option would be equal to a 635m if somehow a 9400 and a 240m are working together to render frames in some strange sli/shared config and even if it did it would only even be equal to a 635 with 100% scaling of both cards and I don't see how two cards that different would be able to render frames at full speed, the slower of the two should be a bottleneck. I think that the integrated 9400 and the 240m are more like an early 'optimus' where you can switch to integrated for increased battery life. Even if it could work both cards with the over 100% performance scaling it would be way lower than a 570m so your first option is much better.

Oh, the mods are just part of my signiture, you don't have to see them or anything ;D .

The $300 will really make a world of difference between the two laptops. The gpu in the msi alone is over twice as powerful as the alienwares at its 'maximum' potential if it can actually reach 635m performance. You should actually be able to play every game on your list on ultra at 1080p except maybe Skyrim (which will be pretty much be on ultra with lowered aa, or high with the ability to use a nice enb series).

Thanks for the kudos :happy: .

If you are ever in doubt about that sort of stuff you can go to notebookcheck to see roughly how the graphics card in the laptop will perform.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-570M.56635.0.html

Here is the link for the 570m. The benchmarks are impressive, only a handful of games it can't max out.

Ahh, very true audioave10, cooling pads are a very good idea (I use a notepal U3 with my laptop). It is also important to clean the fans out with computer duster or something along those lines every once in a while as laptops like that can easily hit 90*C+ on the gpu thermal diodes if not cleaned.

this should get a decent fps on high to max with oblivion fallout 3 (there are a few mods for both that will let you get even better fps)

medium to high setting on fallout new vegas (Make sure to get the stutter remover mod and the unofficial patches)

medium for dragon age O (but don't quote me on that because i haven't touched the game in ages)

and for skyrim with the high res dlc patch id say medium but a stable medium (just avoid enb and the massive texture mods)

sounds like a decent setup

i game exclusively on older laptops because im poor and with my old 512mb gfx 2.4ghz dual core 2 i was doing roughly the same as stated above with a rough 25 fps your system will get easily double that leaving room for the best mods

the setting i mentioned are a rough estimate you will almost definitely do better than i stated

Edited by vincenexus