Tea Party The New Civil Rights Movement?

colourwheel

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TRoaches

Are you seriously suggesting that there is no link between state legislators and the tea party in completely republican controlled states? :rolleyes:

The movement itself is not the problem, the problem is the people who are being put into legislative power by the tea party movement. These state legislators in totally tea party controlled cacuses are systematically destroying abortion rights, railing against gay and lesbian rights, fracturing equality in the work place for women, and halting immigration because of the people who are being put into power.... How can you not see this happening?

also looking at things at a national level here is one of the tea party's stars...

Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann was put into congress to do nothing more than to try to repeal obamacare for 37 times and has failed. She has nothing to show for the tea parties cause other than giving fact checkers of america a huge amount of work cross checking all the bull that has come out of that womans mouth. She has a historically 3rd to last record for congressional attendance so far and has done absolutely nothing good to show for the people for her district she represents in her 8 years of serving.

The tea party's core beliefs mean nothing when the people they are putting into power are only hurting their original cause nationally and state wise...

Edited by colourwheel

@TRoaches

Are you seriously suggesting that there is no link between state legislators and the tea party in completely republican controlled states? :rolleyes:

Are you suggesting that the link is obvious enough that it does not require any rhetorical support? Is it true simply because you believe it to be true? All I asked was that you provide some proof to support your claim that there is a link between the tea party movement and the social agendas that you are describing. You have not done this, because it cannot be done. The tea party is not about social politics. This does not mean that anyone associated with the tea party lacks concern opinion about social issues. A person can be sympathetic to the tea party ideals and still hold various opinions about social issues, but there is no intrinsic link between tea party ideals and social issues. Correlation does not equate to causation.

because of the people who are being put into power....

Please explain how a person is "put into power" by the tea party movement. Is it perhaps by **gasp** public elections? Oh, such horror!

Michele Bachmann....

Bachmann is a fine example of an absurdly inept politician who managed to associate herself with the tea party despite a complete lack of understanding or sympathy for the principles of the movement. Once again you are confusing the actual populist movement with the political brand that is self-applied by weasely congresspeople. You are accepting and regurgitating the deceptive revision of truth that is being fed to you by Republicans, Democrats, and mainstream media alike.

Please explain how a person is "put into power" by the tea party movement. Is it perhaps by **gasp** public elections? Oh, such horror!

Think about it... Republican controlled states gerrymandering districts specifically to get their party in office without any competition from any other political party. It's the Tea party cacuses who are controling who is up for these state and national legislative seats. Hardly democratic if you ask me when pushing for extreme social legislation. :whistling:

Edited by colourwheel

Gerrymandering has existed for as long as there have been voting districts. It is a fact of political life within both parties. It is a part of our government process, and it is juvenile to pretend that it is wicked simply because it does not always operate in your favor. The implication that gerrymandering is primarily a Republican act is extremely fallacious. For every example of Republican gerrymandering there is an equal and opposite example of Democratic gerrymandering. The Democrats perfected gerrymandering in 1960's in an effort to disenfranchise non-white voters.

Besides, I thought you were a registered Republican? Shouldn't Republican gerrymandering please you, given your stated life-long dedication to the party?

Gerrymandering has existed for as long as there have been voting districts. It is a fact of political life within both parties. It is a part of our government process, and it is juvenile to pretend that it is wicked simply because it does not always operate in your favor. The implication that gerrymandering is primarily a Republican act is extremely fallacious. For every example of Republican gerrymandering there is an equal and opposite example of Democratic gerrymandering. The Democrats perfected gerrymandering in 1960's in an effort to disenfranchise non-white voters.

Seriously now? What Gerrymandering has lead the Democratic party to force extreme social legislation to pass that has hurt a community state wise or even nationally? Do you see The democratic party forcing women to have forced transvaginal probing to take a pill or abolishing abortion? Do you see the democratic party railing against equality in the work place? do you see the Democratic party passing legislation against gays and lesbians? Do you see the democratic party denigrating immigrants and immigration?

I honestly don't care about what the democratic party was back in the 60's what ever they were back then they are not the same party as today the same for the republican party today. I am not one to hold allegiance to only one party all the time for all time... if the democratic party happens to change in my mind where i feel what they are doing is really hurting me personally as a woman, as an immigrant, and as a person who is bisexual, I think i would obviously switch to a new political party again.

Edited by colourwheel

Seriously now? What Gerrymandering has lead the Democratic party to force extreme social legislation to pass that has hurt a community state wise or even nationally?

I thought the example that I provided of Democrat gerrymandering specifically to disenfranchise non-white voters in response to thevoting rights act was a pretty solid example. In fact, I would argue that it was a far more offensive and unforgivable tactic than anything the Republicans have ever done. To this day they consistently gerrymander along ethnic lines, which I consider a racist and divisive tactic.

Seriously now? What Gerrymandering has lead the Democratic party to force extreme social legislation to pass that has hurt a community state wise or even nationally?

I thought the example that I provided of Democrat gerrymandering specifically to disenfranchise non-white voters in response to thevoting rights act was a pretty solid example. In fact, I would argue that it was a far more offensive and unforgivable tactic than anything the Republicans have ever done. To this day they consistently gerrymander along ethnic lines, which I consider a racist and divisive tactic.

ya maybe back in the 60's ;D the democratic party today isn't the same party as it was back in the 60's lol

Edited by colourwheel

Like I said, they still commonly draw their districts along racial lines. It is essentially the same practice as it was in the 60's, just reversed. I don't think it is right for people to be grouped according to their perceived race in that way, but the Dems see no problem with this. It perpetuates racial division in our society.

Edited by TRoaches

Like I said, they still commonly draw their districts along racial lines. It is essentially the same practice as it was in the 60's, just reversed. I don't think it is right for people to be grouped according to their perceived race in that way, but the Dems see no problem with this. It perpetuates racial division in our society.

Ya I agree it was not right back then... but that was the 60's I wasn't even alive back then. I am worried about what is going on today!!! the Democratic party is not the same as it was back in the 60's, same goes for the republican party.

Edited by colourwheel