Insanely Ambitious Idea

kamikaze14

It would be awesome, but if someone (or a team of someones) did it, and posted it for free, Bethesda would probably send the Talon Company after them... heh heh heh. If it was going to be done, I think that the modders making it would need copyright permissions and the like that Bethesda would not release to them without some form of gain on their end. Never know though, they may actually be pretty open minded about the whole thing... If anyone considers this as a future endeavor I would venture to say that they should ask Bethesda first, maybe they'll say "go for it", maybe not, but if you get their support you may get some useful tools/files/art that can make it a little easier.

Mod file would probably be bigger then the game install though :P

It would be awesome, but if someone (or a team of someones) did it, and posted it for free, Bethesda would probably send the Talon Company after them... heh heh heh. If it was going to be done, I think that the modders making it would need copyright permissions and the like that Bethesda would not release to them without some form of gain on their end. Never know though, they may actually be pretty open minded about the whole thing... If anyone considers this as a future endeavor I would venture to say that they should ask Bethesda first, maybe they'll say "go for it", maybe not, but if you get their support you may get some useful tools/files/art that can make it a little easier.

Mod file would probably be bigger then the game install though :P

I could be incorrect but I don't think Beth would "Nuke" modders for working on the west coast, I think Beth just doesn't want assets (textures, meshes) being shared between games which I don't see as a problem in this case.

And by the EULA modders cannot sell anything made with the Geck.

I do agree that it would be courteous to ask Beth about the mod

As far as I know Bethesda only got hold of the rights to make Fallout 3... The company does not own the Fallout 1/2/Tactics licence whatsoever. Interplay does though... So any legal problems you could have would have to be with Interplay XD As long as user content is used to picture the previous fallouts I don't think we could have any problems.

I did start thinking about doing a mod like this a few days ago, and now I see more people have the same idea :P Unfortunately I can't do anything to contribute right now due to having a lot of work at university and not being able to play fallout on my current computer D:

Actually, Bethesda owns all of Fallout now - Interplay even had to arrange it special with Bethesda to be able to make Fallout Online.

As for making Fallout 1 and 2 in Fallout 3... I must admit, visiting some of the west coast locations in high-detailed first person would be pretty spiffy... but I don't know if it could be done well enough to justify the work. We already have Fallout 1 and 2. I'd much prefer any modders talented and driven enough to take up such a task would instead go to work on their own never-before-seen original projects.

-Pax

We already have Fallout 1 and 2.

and what about those who don't? Sure the gameplay won't be the same, but this may be some people's only chance to experience these games.

Exactly, I did have have Fallout 1 until my last computer decided to "pizza slice" that disc & I can't find one anymore

I can't imagine a team working on said project without funding. Great mods have been made for free, but those never entailed a bunch of voice actors and other assets that require more than a few skill modders. It takes crews a paid professionals several years to produce a game...

And it would no longer be modding, but producing. Granted you have the outline already, so you can pretty much skip the script and story board. I'd love to see it happen, but unless one of us modders wins the lottery....

Well, with GTS you could do it.

Take the Fallout1 or Fallout2 Map and only create the Content-Places. Like the Den, New Reno, Broken Hills and so on but leave out the Wilderness Cells. Well of course it's still a lot of work, but possible with a skilled team. Anyway, the mainpart would be dialogues and quests, because specially fallout2 have really a lot of quests. But only the Places without dialogues and quests could be done in a few months. For Fallout1 a single person would be enough to redo it, coz it's tiny compared to fallout2. Also the Locations of Fallout1 fit much better with Fallout3 Meshes and Textures. Fallout2 could get Problems in New Reno or San Francisco.

Anyway, for me it would be enough just to see New Reno in Fallout3, all other Places are not really special or important and have similar stuff in fallout3 already. Also, i wouldn't like so see a 1:1 Remake, coz it wouldn't make mutch sense. Fallout3 plays in a different time period and something like Tranquility Lane or Archoache is gay. Just Fallout1 has different time period from Fallout2 and the Locations are overlapping (Vault 13, Vault 15, Shady Sands/NDR). So, how to connect Fallout1-3 well, if all have a different time period?

Archived