Oddly inconstant game

RJLbwb

It’s like this game has a multiple personality disorder. It’s got this one game going on about this epic struggle over the future of civilizing, another that’s this gritty post apocalyptic survival story, some kind of Red Dwarf style scifi parody and then an arcade game. The survival and epic stories work well, the NCR verses Robert House is fascinating with all it’s shades of gray but it makes the arcade game really jarring because the rest of the game is so well reasoned out.

Example; Killing Dead Sea for Restoring Hope quest. Dead Sea is in this barrack in Nelson with two legionaries who are ludicrously over equipped (BoS level gear on) You go in and fight you die because of these two, you can’t stealth kill Dead Sea because he is scripted to auto detect you (got to love it when a Developer cheats in his own game) so the idea, at lest as I figured it out, is you go in in steath mod, wait a bit and the Super legionaries will run into the bathroom and hide since apparently there is also one of those big, hairy, spiders in the barracks, agro Dead Sea, run out of the barracks, Dead Sea follows you out to get gun down Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid style.

So it’s kind of ok, did that (and thanks to the NCR shooting Dead Sea in the head I didn’t even earn Legion infamy) but it’s er, huh, what? Dead Sea and friends are in some wooden barracks, complete with a crawl space. Why not pile C4 up under him or just burn the building down around them?* Why didn’t they put him and his group in an actual bunker that some kid with matches couldn’t‘ just turn into death trap? If the NCR is over running Nelson why doesn’t he come out to fight or get out? Why are these two legonaries so well equipped when a sizable precentage of rest of the Legonaries at Nelson just have throwing spears. I know the answere to all these questions is "shut up, that's why" but it’s just one of these jarring things FNV is full of that breaks an otherwise good game mode.

*and you have to admit that would be a hideous way to go since their armor would most likely be enough to keep them alive along enough to be trapped under the rubble and burn to death.

Edited by RJLbwb

ok, honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about. I have never had a problem dealing with dead sea or his legionaries. Try, the way i approached it was; waited until at least Lvl. 14, sniper killed the legion forces outside with boone as a follower, had reinforced leather armor and the ratslayer rifle (a unique varment rifle), then just burst in and shoot Dead Sea in the face while my companions take out the out legionaries.

Also, Fallout has never taken itself seriously (for example, the wild wasteland perk) It's designed to allow you play as either a survivor, or the superpowered savior of mankind. And mix of humor, drama, and epic action, while completely ignoring real laws of biology and physics, is what makes Fallout so interesting.

ok, honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about. I have never had a problem dealing with dead sea or his legionaries. Try, the way i approached it was; waited until at least Lvl. 14, sniper killed the legion forces outside with boone as a follower, had reinforced leather armor and the ratslayer rifle (a unique varment rifle), then just burst in and shoot Dead Sea in the face while my companions take out the out legionaries.

Also, Fallout has never taken itself seriously (for example, the wild wasteland perk) It's designed to allow you play as either a survivor, or the superpowered savior of mankind. And mix of humor, drama, and epic action, while completely ignoring real laws of biology and physics, is what makes Fallout so interesting.

Really? I was level 30 with 80+ guns and sneak when I did it and was using some pretty hefty weapons and it was worse than shooting at Death Claws. Is this one of those weird leveling things were it's ironically harder the higher level you get?

I agree with the other posters, you should not have any problem with Dead Sea.

What gun are you using? What ammo? The legion guys wear armor and all have a high DT. Especially Dead Sea.

Do you use companions?

I have always done Nelson on my own before going to Camp Forlorn Hope, so do the NCR guys follow you into the cabin with Dead Sea?

I agree with the other posters, you should not have any problem with Dead Sea.

What gun are you using? What ammo? The legion guys wear armor and all have a high DT. Especially Dead Sea.

Do you use companions?

I have always done Nelson on my own before going to Camp Forlorn Hope, so do the NCR guys follow you into the cabin with Dead Sea?

Bone with a sniper rifle, ED-E with the Follower Enhancements plus three NCR troopers with service rifles.

I was using the Pancor Jackhammer from Millennia, with flechette rounds, shotgun surgeon, stand back perks on normal difficulty. ED-E must have been doing the most damage because Dead Sea was fixated on him.

The NCR guys just stand outside. I had both Bone and ED-E outside since I figured a 80 stealth and a stealth boy would be enough to avoid detection (my original plan was to reverse pickpocket a grenade into Dead Sea, or failing that have them chase me into a cross fire). The rest of Nelson was real easy, just sneak around with a silenced sniper rifle and head shot everyone.

Strange. Very strange. You should have no problem at all with him. My best wildest guess is some mod bug.

All I can do is to tell my experience as an example.

I use MMUE as my only mod. I have Boone and ED-E, both with no enhancements. I am around level 20 with 60 something in guns. I use That Gun with 5.56 AP ammo. I walk in the door and Dead Sea is right in front of me. I use VATS and aim for the head (95%) and he dies in about 4 hits. I even have enough AP left over to target one round at one of the other soldiers. This is repeatable, not a one time lucky critical hits thing.

Strange. Very strange. You should have no problem at all with him. My best wildest guess is some mod bug.

All I can do is to tell my experience as an example.

I use MMUE as my only mod. I have Boone and ED-E, both with no enhancements. I am around level 20 with 60 something in guns. I use That Gun with 5.56 AP ammo. I walk in the door and Dead Sea is right in front of me. I use VATS and aim for the head (95%) and he dies in about 4 hits. I even have enough AP left over to target one round at one of the other soldiers. This is repeatable, not a one time lucky critical hits thing.

I think you are right about the broken mod Chas; I shot some vet legion with Rat slayer, it mearly agroed him and I then shot him 300 times with with Sten in good condition and it only nocked him down 20%. While I can't rule out I mearly suck, this seems a bit OT when Bone and ED-E can't touch them.

EDIT Ah here we go

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/45557/?

This is what I get for not reading all of the Read Me, I thought it was mearly a comestic overhall, turns out to be a super buff up for the Legion.

Edited by RJLbwb