CPU GPU RAM Frequency question for gaming.

What should those specs be respectively?
I plan on getting a 4 Ghz Quad core CPU so that might be taken care of, is this a good enough number?
Is 800 Mhz GPU good enough for modern gaming or does it need to be higher?
Is a RAM frequency of 1600 Mhz good enough to work with the CPU and GPU?

(Is this the right forum to ask here by the way?)

Honestly none of it really matters. Buy a good CPU and you won't even see the difference when you OC it. RAM same thing. Buy 1600 RAM 8gb and be done. GPU is the one thing you might notice a difference if you OC it. But even then the difference would be small. Noticeable really only in benchmarks. Again just buy a good GPU and you'll be fine. Most can OC a little just by turning up a slider in the software. Do this and leave it. No need to mess with voltages unless you enjoy doing that stuff :P

Honestly none of it really matters. Buy a good CPU and you won't even see the difference when you OC it. RAM same thing. Buy 1600 RAM 8gb and be done. GPU is the one thing you might notice a difference if you OC it. But even then the difference would be small. Noticeable really only in benchmarks. Again just buy a good GPU and you'll be fine. Most can OC a little just by turning up a slider in the software. Do this and leave it. No need to mess with voltages unless you enjoy doing that stuff :P

I am personally against overclocking due to it voiding warranty and causing faster durability decay.

But the reason I ask about this is because I play a lot of games including mmorpgs and I want the framerate to be as smooth as possible.

it doesnt void warranty?

and the rate it causes the chip to decay is much slower then the rate tech progresses. by the time youd lose on the chip from an OC reaches you, your probably several generations behind at that point anyways and need to update your hardware.

but as i said, the numbers dont matter. not if you buy good hardware. you should be asking "is this specific CPU ok" or "is this specific GPU ok". not are the numbers ok. even more so because an old GPU at 800Mhz is not the same as a new GPU at 800MHz, same with the CPU. (and RAM clock speeds dont matter at all. thats just for enthusiasts really)

So... Would a ATI Radeon 6950 be too old or is it good enough for today's gaming generation? (it has the 800 MHz GPU)
Edit: My current pc has the RAM frequency at 533 and my GPU on my 6750 is 700 MHz, is the 533 bottlenecking my GPU? Also I have an HP so I cannot overclock my RAM frequency even if I wanted to, it's not in the BIOS... :(

Edited by gameboytj

yea a 6950 isnt that old. youd be fine playing with it. though if you are planning on buying it, then why not just get like a 7950?

and 533MHz RAM sounds like old ram, maybe DDR2? as most RAM today is 1333 or 1600 or more. also how many GB is it? and what OS do you have?

download Speccy and screenshot it and post it

That is 1066mhz ram, which could be either ddr2 or ddr3

Old usually means expensive when buying pc hardware so a 6950 would most likely be to expensive for the performance you get.

Edited by Erik005

yea a 6950 isnt that old. youd be fine playing with it. though if you are planning on buying it, then why not just get like a 7950?

and 533MHz RAM sounds like old ram, maybe DDR2? as most RAM today is 1333 or 1600 or more. also how many GB is it? and what OS do you have?

download Speccy and screenshot it and post it

It's DDR3 6GB. 7950 is $400, a little too high for me, maybe a 7850 since its similar to the 6950 but with 60 more MHz

For GPU or CPU, do not ever compare frequency unless it's in the same class, ie. a HD 7950 from one maker to a HD 7950 from another maker. Otherwise it's completely irrelevant to compare GHz to GHz when the cards or parts are not even the same (architecture, texel units, coils, and such matter more).

AMD HD 7870 beats the AMD HD 6950 by a significant margin (especially for modern game titles), not even caring what the difference in frequency between the two cards is (better architecture, form factor efficiency, better shader units, etc are the things to look for). Plus, it's more power-effective as well. In Canada, an AMD HD 7870 GHz Edition costs only 240$, and I believe it's the same in the US.

Edited by ZeroKing