Skyrim freezing a lot on high end pc

rilax

My VRam been topping 2800-2900 MB at 1920 x 1200 with 4x MSAA and FXAA, and indeed ENB.

I never checked the TESV.exe usage, but i'm guessing it's the cause of my CTDs.

Will find out tomorrow if it's gone, since i replaced all Textures i could. If i still CTD i call it a game and leave Skyrim for what it is ^^

My guess is that the cpu just isn't fast enough to process all that information so it just stops. Oh well if everything goes according to plan i'll get one of those new i7 4770k's which i can overclock. I am very interested to see if that changes anything if so, my answer has been finally answered, but as of now i'll just have to try every bugfix there is in the case the cpu isn't the bottleneck.

My guess is that the cpu just isn't fast enough to process all that information so it just stops. Oh well if everything goes according to plan i'll get one of those new i7 4770k's which i can overclock. I am very interested to see if that changes anything if so, my answer has been finally answered, but as of now i'll just have to try every bugfix there is in the case the cpu isn't the bottleneck.

The Issue with Skyrim is that the TESV.exe becomes unresponsive because of an outmoded .exe... It has nothing to do with processors or O/S's but it is all about processes... and their

priority within the O/S... the more overloaded the process the more likely the failure, and very few people are familiar with how to raise a processes priority in the O/S..and you can do it thru the task manager... No one is wanting to author a fix....It would violate EULA...

So that is one other thing that you can do to make it more stable.... that and taking the Page File off the default.... Let Windows Control, and put it off the O/S disk.and open it up to 4-6 GB.

The other thing would be to look in the O/S and DX error logs and see what they are telling you... you need to look at that in order to look at bigger overall issues.

Edited by Reynard131

The Issue with Skyrim is that the TESV.exe becomes unresponsive because of an outmoded .exe... It has nothing to do with processors or O/S's but it is all about processes... and their

priority within the O/S... the more overloaded the process the more likely the failure, and very few people are familiar with how to raise a processes priority in the O/S..and you can do it thru the task manager... No one is wanting to author a fix....It would violate EULA...

So that is one other thing that you can do to make it more stable.... that and taking the Page File off the default.... Let Windows Control, and put it off the O/S disk.and open it up to 4-6 GB.

The other thing would be to look in the O/S and DX error logs and see what they are telling you... you need to look at that in order to look at bigger overall issues.

I always understood the page file should be 1 to 1.5x the physical ram installed. Which would put the page file at 8-12 Gig.

There are also a few times you can speed up a PC by turning off the page file.

I always understood the page file should be 1 to 1.5x the physical ram installed. Which would put the page file at 8-12 Gig.

That is old... in Win7 / 8 it's best to let Windows handle the pagefile unless you have 16GB of RAM, or more. In that case you need to monitor you RAM usage under normal working conditions to figure out the right size for your usage so you don't eat up a large chunk of your disk space for nothing. in general a pagefile between 4 and 8GB is more than enough for anyone and ANY program you have these days.

It's not really recommended to turn the pagefile completely off. I always lower it to 2048 MB.

That is old... in Win7 / 8 it's best to let Windows handle the pagefile unless you have 16GB of RAM, or more. In that case you need to monitor you RAM usage under normal working conditions to figure out the right size for your usage so you don't eat up a large chunk of your disk space for nothing. in general a pagefile between 4 and 8GB is more than enough for anyone and ANY program you have these days.

Having Windows managing anything is never been a smart thing especially in this area because virtual memory is the key to any high speed or essential applications such as AutoCAD/CAM, MATLAB or Adobe CS Premiere they are extremely demanding, and virtual memory is very important with these Apps because they are shadowing the Video framebuffer and the drivers FIFO buffer to a depth that is determined by Driver hardware detection and DX, and the larger the allocated space the better...

In the case of these applications they have memory holes that leak small amounts of data, and the memory on a typical Workstation/Desktop is unbuffered this creates a pregnant duck effect by the end of the day.... If you are are doing serious content creation on any other basis other than the pudknocker level you are on a enterprise level workstation running registered ECC memory and this effect is reduced by the error correction. In this area it is not uncommon to run 16 - 32 GB pagefile or even larger depending upon your applications needs on an SLC based SSD.

In the case of a game it has the same effect, and the buggier the mods, or depending upon the development of the application, this can be an issue when windows is controlling the pagefile especially if the size is set small, or depending on the drive that it is set on the writebacks, and the memory holes in the poorly developed content will cause the issues that are most commonly being griped about here. The longer the machine runs without a reset the worse it will run...

We are now talking about consumer level hardware, and all of the variables that are out there. This is why trying to chase down issues if you are not using good basic problem solving methods you are using anecdotal observations as science, and it isn't because if you are not getting good information about the issue from the people here.

Don't take me wrong.... I respect you for trying, that is for sure ! you are one of the few members that try.

There is a ton of info on MSDN... That can help, and help you. People forget about those tools !!

If I may jump in here, and I'm sorry for the derailing, but I get very confused about Page File and what settings I should use. I have an SSD with operating system etc (:C drive), an HDD for storage (:D drive), and another SSD just for games (:J drive). I have 16 GB of RAM on Windows 7 64 bit.

Would someone knowledgeable mind giving me some guidance on how to best set up my Page File for this system?

Wow thanks for the reactions everyone. Well i'm gonna try the pagefile thing. Let's hope it works. And my Skyrim priority is already set to high. I use ATTK Power Loader for this, and this has been one of the golden programs i have used in making Skyrim play smoother. Where could i find the O/S and Dx error logs? I am interested to see what they tell me and if i can get any wiser from them..