Mogrul the money-lender, A New Debt.

frank lee

Wasn't essential for me either. Gutted him and his goon the moment he ended dialog, wasn't with no shiny glowy runeblade either, just the rusty brand I've been lugging around the last ten levels and got an objective completion.

But hell with him, I figured it was better to pay a thousand gold bounty to Velen Who I actually like and who proberbly needs a raise, than to some green skinned fetcher wi' a chip on his shoulder.

Edited by Grayfell

Actually, I think the way it works is that he's essential until he confronts you about the debt. From that point on you can take kill him for a mere 40 septim fine.

If you want to avoid the bounty altogether and still want to take him out, make Mogrul and his bodyguard follow you out of Raven Rock when he goes to initially confront you about the debt. As long as you don't get too far away, they'll keep walking toward you. Confront him when you're away from all the guards, then after he finishes threatening you, you can take him out and then erase the 40 septim bounty by killing the bodyguard.