Question about a new monitor

Hello all

I'm going to buy a new GPU (Geforce GTX 770) soon. But I noticed my "rather old" monitor only has a VGA port and no DVI.

I don't know what's better though: to get a new monitor or just get a DVI-VGA connector plug? Is there any noticeable difference when playing games on 1920x1080 resolution on a monitor with a VGA-DCI connector compared to a DCI one? Is it worth getting a new monitor for this? And if yes (which I presume probably will be), which one would you recommend for about 100-150 euros (120-180 dollars) (resolution 1920x1080) (24inch, lcd)?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Andre

This is my monitor. It lines up with what you're asking for very well. It's LED instead of LCD, but LED is better, so there's no problem there.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS247H-P-24-Inch-Full-HD-LED-Lit/dp/B005BZNDS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372476988&sr=8-1&keywords=1080p+24+inch+monitor

It's a great monitor for the price, but keep in mind, it doesn't have speakers and the contrast ratio could be higher. For your price range, however, it's probably the best you're going to get. If your current monitor only has a VGA plug, then it should be a big upgrade regardless.

Also, there's a noticeable difference between VGA and DVI. I used to have a 1440x900 VGA monitor. I had the option of ugrading my graphics card or upgrading my monitor (I had a $200 budget for either). I upgraded my monitor to the one I have now, and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made relating to my PC. Both DVI and HDMI are miles ahead of VGA, and going to 1080p was a big upgrade as well. HDMI is best, but there's almost no difference from DVI to HDMI for most people.

Keep in mind, HDMI is highest quality, but if you use an HDMI connection with certain monitors, you need to go into your Nvidia Control Panel, under Adjust Desktop Color Settings, and switch Digital Color Format from RGB to YCbCr444. That will improve color accuracy and depth. When you update your video card drivers, it's a good idea to check that setting again and make sure it hasn't reset.

Edited by Rennn

I think DVI and HDMI are exactly the same except HDMI carries audio

As for my monitor i got it for $200 but it was on sale. 24" 1920x1080p IDE monitor. Dell 2312HM. I absolutely love it. Look it up. See if you'd like it and check amazon that's where I got it really cheap. Newegg was $70 more expensive.

Actually dual-DVI wins over HDMI, mainly because HDMI doesnt support 120hz/1080p (AFAIK).

But Displayport still beats everything.

If you have a monitor that only has VGA connection, it means the monitor belongs to a museum.

Edited by kalikka

Actually dual-DVI wins over HDMI, mainly because HDMI doesnt support 120hz/1080p (AFAIK).

But Displayport still beats everything.

If you have a monitor that only has VGA connection, it means the monitor belongs to a museum.

Upgrading from VGA, I'm guessing that setting up dual-DVI to run at 120hz isn't a big priority.

Furthermore, it's debatable whether or not Displayport is actually better than either DVI or HDMI. There's actually a small amount of signal degradation associated with a Displayport connection, whereas there's absolutely no signal degradation associated with HDMI. On the other hand, Displayport may have more potential for future growth at higher resolutions than 1440p.