Editing a .esp changes its CRC32

I was making a change to the Nora Companion mod's esp as I wanted to change some lines with voice generated from xvasynth for a personal variation of the mod. The problem is when I do so, the CRC32 changes and when loading the game it tells me the mod is missing (I suppose with the CRC32 changed it sees itself as a new mod?) and now Nora is missing and the quest to recruit her doesn't even reappear, it's just basically broken. Someone please tell me how to make changes and yet the mod still be recognized.

I'm used to modding Skyrim where this is a very simple mod, apparently not in FO4.

Not strange, as that's what a CRC check is for. To detect (unwanted/accidental) changes to the raw data. If a CRC check fails, the file/data (or in this case, mod) will not be loaded. (and therefore: Missing)

What is strange is that there is a CRC32 check that fails. I never had any such problems editing .esp files.

So, are you sure the CRC32 changes on edit? (It should) -or- does is actually not get updated? (which is what it sounds like to me)

Well, when I checked it before and after in fo4edit, it showed it changed. Doesn't that mean it updates? And if it it's not being updated, what do I do?

Well, that's actually correct. Changing the data means you need a new crc hash too. So, if it changes, that's good.

This should however have no influence on whether the mod loads [edit: unless there's a mismatch], and it should not be handled as anything new.

It's more likely there is something else going on, preventing the mod from loading, which might have to do with what you changed.

Edited by RoNin1971

Here's some new info. If I use fo4edit to copy the edited version as an override esp with a new name and paste the old one back in it works with the changes.

Tried to repeat this whole thing with a mod that adds head bandanas. I added n armored one and something happens. If I repeaat the fo4efit method it works. But I noticed I forget To add a recipe, so added one and that mod started with this whole thing again. That can't be normal, so I'm wondering if something with my ck is out of whack.

hmmm, that's not a very exotic change by itself.

Are you using a mod manager? it might see the edited files as corrupt and doesn't load them.

If so, try removing the mod and then add (the modified version) again.

CK & xEdit (or FO4Edit) are 2 different things. Did you open and save the new versions (which you created using fo4edit) using the CK? (I believe you should, to make sure the file was saved by software designed for the engine/game by the developer)

Yeah I instal things manually but use a mod manager for load order and to turn on/off mods.

Well, not at first, when it was created, but after making the simple edit in The CK of adding the recipe, I saved and loaded the game to get the this mod is missing. So, a bit of both.

I'll back up some files and try making a simple change and save then try seeing if I can get the mod manager to load it. I'll let you know.