Linux Users Please Read

Zmid

Well, I'm currently posting this from Mozilla, running on a Mandrake machine, and, so far, I'm impressed. It was easy as hell to install, took approximately half the time of Windows XP, and detected and installed all my hardware correctly straight off the bat, with only one exception - the drivers for my GeForce FX 5600 are basic ones only capable of 2D graphics, but there are proper ones available from Nvidia (though I've yet to try them). Things are a little more difficult to do through Linux, but all that's been required (so far, anyway), is an internet connection and Google, and considering how much stuff you get for free with Mandrake, I'm prepared to put up with that. :D

I thought I would just add my two cents, as I was browsing through. If you want to play with linux, and want to really get your teeth into it, go out and get an old Power Mac (6500, 7300, 9600, etc) and load up Yellow Dog Linux. It is free and idiot proof to install on the older Macs. It is a direct clone of Red Hat, down to the Anaconda installer. Allo you need is a cheap old Mac and some time to download it. Also, you need a computer (Mac/Windows/Otherwise) to burn the ISO images.

I've had very good luck with it, installing it on a Power Macintosh 6500/250 A/V Edition; A 250MHz computer I would be loath to surf the internet on, it now serves webpages with as much competence as any IBM RS-6000 server (which is what the PMac 6500 is based off). Plus you can play with the XWindow GUI or the Command Prompt.

But the point being, for right around $50.00US you can get real linux on a real computer, mess it up and not care.

Hmm... I'm quite interested in Linux as well, but I want to play games on it, and nothing else. And it still isn't good at that. At least they still have a year or so to fix that, since I'll stick to windows 98 until that time.

And BTW, have you read up about the new 'features' in longhorn? An even MORE HORRIBLE GUI, this time it's completely 3D! As in you now also need a good videocard to run your wannabe-OS. And that winFS? Oh, that'll just eat away 200MB... And how about the new anti-copying stuff? Not only will your OS be linked to your CPU number, but also, you can no longer take screenshots when there is copy-protected material present on your screen. And that's only the beginning. We'll end up being locked out our OWN PCs if we continue using that M$ crap. I wonder what the systemrequirements will be this time.

*looks at 486 machine*

Hmm... All programs including windows appear to be using a total of 18 megabytes of RAM... Now that's something I can call an OS...

What? Stability you say?

*points at win98 server running since january*

You mentioned security?

*points at random freshly installed winXP machine that was crippled by blaster/sasser the minute it connected to the net to install some servicepacks*

*points to second win98 server that is connected through router DMZ, is unprotected by firewalls or active antivirus programs, and hasn't got any virus for 2 years*

Hackers you say?

Yah, that might be a problem. But hackers can get in any M$ OS anyway, just accept that fact.

RHE is the most stable, updated and generally accepted as the best version of Linux out there. No doubting that.

Blasphemy. Slackware is infinitely more stable, the same with Debian. I know from experience. Slackware and Debian are the most user-unfriendly linux distro's I know of, but I highly recommend Slackware to anyone wanting to learn true linux. You will need to spend hours slaving away with a help guide in one hand and the keyboard in the other, but you'll learn so much more then you ever would laying hands on any "commercial" distribution.

Of course, if your looking for a simple and easy- out the door, no hassle distro, try SuSE, Mandrake, Red Hat or any other "commercialized" distro.

Also, game support for linux has been building steam. I would suggest you check out Wine (www.winehq.com(Free)) or "WineX" ala Cedega (www.transgaming.com(Not Free))

Archived