DeadPool: a strange little review

Vindekarr

So. I've always been a big fan of DeadPool, and when I heard High Moon, a studio who did such a great job with Transformers last year, was going to make DeadPool into a game, I was pretty excited. Subsequently I've handed over my $20 and now I can pass along my experiences, BUT, brace yourself, this review is going to sound as bipolar as DeadPool himself.

So, if you're new to to it, DeadPool is a comicbook character, and a very popular one. The reason is simple: DeadPool is A totally hilarious and B totally nuts. He says and does things we all wish we could say/do, and he has the added bonus of breaking the "fourth wall" In writing terms, when a character "breaks the fourth wall" then they recognise they are a fictional character and speak to the viewer/reader/player in that context. DeadPool is smutty, foul mouthed, lewd, prone to halucinations/daydreams, and yet this game doesn't for a second make the mistakes of Duke Nukem. There is some gross humor, but it's mostly in DeadPool's own crazy daydreams.

The preface sort of grew into a full paragraph, so let me outline the basics. This game is very much bipolar; the humor, writing, story, acting and more than ANYTHING the realisation of DeadPool as a character, are absolutely AWESOME. They've lived out every iota of potential there was to live out, and this is quite possibly the funniest game I've ever played. On the flip side, the melee combat is average. Not bad, just average. It does nothing wrong, but by the same token it won't blow your mind either. Gunplay is rock-solid, and the puzzles and graphics are not amazing, but not bad either.

So when you strip it down, it's a solidly average third person beat em up/shooter, but the storyline, voice acting, and more than anything the humor, are what make this game good. And I have to admit I had an absolute blast. Without any spoilers, this game must NOT be played while drinking a hot beverage-or you WILL splurt coffee out your nose and subsequently have a coughing fit as I did. It is extremely cude, extremely lewd, and unlike the rather similar in premise Duke Forever, is ACTUALLY FUNNY. Humor is a mix of obsurdism and slapstick, And that really works well in context.

Given this game only costs around 20-30$ depending on country, I would recomend it to any DeadPool fan-or anyone looking for a laugh. It's short, cheaply made, but most importantly, it's genuinely funny.

7.5/10

I was very surprised that they made this game to be honest. I was doubtful about it, but good to hear it was done decently.

Slighty offtopic, but related, what did you think about the Wolverine movie version of Deadpool?

Two words. Epic. Fail. DeadPool is about humor, he's actually kinda rubbish in combat-hardly Wolverine grade. I reckon they should have either made him funnier, or dropped him altogether and brought in someone more suitable.

All in all the DeadPool game is... well, average. The game part of it is very ordinary-but Nolan North does SUCH a good job, the writing is so zany, and because the humor is actually really good, that doesn't matter. You're playing for the laughs, and this game really does feel like a DP game should; crazy, really funny, kinda gross.