Make this huge project in FO4's engine or in another game engine?

Ah, I'm sorry. I'm sure you know your project well, and I should have focused on helping you instead.

About working with other engines -

I don't know how important it is for you to have :

- Story contents / quests

- NPC interactions, branching dialogues

- inventory management / merchant menu

- Perk system

- Systemic interactions between factions

...but these things you may take for granted in CK can be a real pain to implement well from scratch in other engines. If you are doing shooter centric game that has little story contents, you might not have much issues going with a blank state engine. If you have non-linear narratives like in Fallout 4, you will have to build that system from ground up. I don't think it will be easy to do this for a first timer. Even in well funded AAA games, NPC interactions can be really stiff, so I'd assume this part is more difficult to do than it may appear.

On the other hand, there's this game called "Bright Memory" made in Unreal Engine 4 by one Chinese guy (FPS / hack n slash / open world). So doing a great looking FPS game like this by yourself may not be impossible. I'd highly doubt that you can get that far in your first project, but just as a successful (but rare) example.

I think the easiest part of your project will be working on the map and the assets. If you have any narrative contents, I'd suggest nailing down that part first, because it will give you clear direction for your project, and end goal. (This is from my personal experience. I've wasted a lot of time getting carried away doing pointless stuff here.)

Good luck with your project. :smile:

Ah, I'm sorry. I'm sure you know your project well, and I should have focused on helping you instead.

About working with other engines -

I don't know how important it is for you to have :

- Story contents / quests

- NPC interactions, branching dialogues

- inventory management / merchant menu

- Perk system

- Systemic interactions between factions

...but these things you may take for granted in CK can be a real pain to implement well from scratch in other engines. If you are doing shooter centric game that has little story contents, you might not have much issues going with a blank state engine. If you have non-linear narratives like in Fallout 4, you will have to build that system from ground up. I don't think it will be easy to do this for a first timer. Even in well funded AAA games, NPC interactions can be really stiff, so I'd assume this part is more difficult to do than it may appear.

Yes, I would of course like to have everything that you listed!

And the "character customization" (not just a a few presets, you can make your character look however you want)!

That is another thing that would be extremely hard to make "from scratch" in another engine ESPECIALLY when you have no idea about animations, skeletons, things like that ...

I think I will keep to working on FO4 stuff ...

FO4 (or Skyrim, or any of the older games) is a really great "framework" to do custom stuff in.

Lots of important things like dialouge system, factons, quests, scripting, leveled actors, .... are already there, you just have to do the writing, "worldbuilding" ...

But you don't have to touch a single line of actual game / engine code.

FO4 is a sandbox game, for those who can mod it :laugh:

We modders usually don't need to worry about "low level implementations" of things, we can just focus on the acutal "game design".

Most players just see "wasted opportunities", but modders see those "loose ends" as "starting points" for their work.

I think I said this before somewhere, but I think of Fallout 4 (the "commonwealth worldspace, the main quest, ...) as just a "template" to work off from.

As a game, FO4 is "not great, not terrible", but the ability to add / change / remove almost anything is what makes this game so great!

You could make completley new worldspaces with new assets, quests, NPCs, factions, .... the only limit is your imagination the worldspace size limit (and other undocumented things).

Trying to go from a nice place like FO4 where you don't need to worry and can just do stuff to "actual" game development using something like UE is really scary.

That's why I feel like modding FO4 is kind of like a trap because once you are doing it, you can't get away because there is nowhere else to go

Which is the reason why I actually got skyrim and FO4!

I started with creating mods for oblivion, then skyrim and now FO4, because they all basically can be modded the same way.

But now with rumours of a new engine for the next FO / TES game, I am really scared, because like I said, there is nowhere else to go ... :confused:

So I guess I will just keep working on FO4 stuff for ever, I guess ...

Yeah, people routinely diss CK around here, but I think it has a quite robust engine for handling narrative adventure contents.

If you look at Obsidian's The Outer Worlds (UE4), for example, NPCs are really damned stiff, and town locations feel completely dead. It looks like doing what Bethesda had developed over many years in another engine won't be simple, even for professionals.

About your large worldspace -

If you have a "Chapter 1" type content that takes place in a smaller area, I'd suggest just working on that part, as a starter. If you are familiar with older BioWare games, they used to always have a starting area that is separate from the main parts. I think this kind of small area can be a good place to test your ideas, before you work on the bigger parts.

Also, accepting limitations isn't a bad thing. I think creating good contents for a small area can actually be very challenging. :tongue: