dlc difference between skyrim and oblivion

black06

hello elder scrolls fans, right now im making threads that involves mysteries and facts with the elder scrolls games and right now i noticed a difference between the dlc in oblivion and skyrim,

the difference is that two oblivion expansions makes you a leader/founder of a faction and a ruler of an island but in skyrim: for some reason your not a some sort of ruler in none of them in which my opinion is kind a strange.

ITs not really strange at all, when you think about it. Like, in Skyrim, you aren't a leader of sorts at all, you can opt to become a leader, but you aren't born into the role of a leader. In Oblivion, you are tasked to leader the empires forces against Mehrunes. Secondly, its more of a game play choice. Because of technological advancements, Skyrim seems to focus in on what you can see, explore, while Oblivion often has you doing and being. To put it simple, Oblivion was developed more for the PC and PC gamers in mind, with liberation and freedom and relatively lightly scripted, due to the fact users were supposed to make decisions. This is why you could destroy the game by killing certain NPCs, doing certain things or taking certain actions.

Conversely, Skyrim takes a different approach, one that I feel is especially aimed at appeasing console users. The game itself is limited y Console hardware limitations, engine and scripting limitations and even the actual gameplay and story is inherently limited by the "handholding" culture that has been evoked in current generation console gamers. Skyrim is often scripted and definitely easy, especially at higher levels. That is where the major focus difference lays, in the targeted audience. Skyrim likes to make on feel like they won something, by themselves, when in reality, the object they had won was in fact, scripted, gifted or fundamentally given to them by the engine. Its inordinate facile nature gives the player something, so when you kill Miraak or finish Dawnguard, you feel like you did it by yourself, or with very little help, when in reality, you have been rigged to achieve it.

Also, if you want to start a series, think about better headings, better and more detailed explanations, avoid "IMOs" where possible, but provide supple professional hypothesis, use correct grammar, avoid speaking directly to the audience and use slightly more sophisticated, yet equivocally clear language. Doing so may invite other users to interact with your posts and provide for more interesting debate if the topic is better equipted to provide debate and more precise in what it targets. Clarity and intellect is what you should aim for, where possible.

Good luck!!

~SD

I mean that being a leader is not part of the MQ, but attained by doing other side quests, its more of a philosphical point rather than a G point

True. As far as I see it, Skyrim is more about what the game can do for you, how it can help you, without you ever realising you're being helped, so you feel accomplishment, without realising that you've actually only accomplished what was designed, manufactured to be achieved.

Its probably the worst thing to be introduced to video games. I was playing crash bandicoot yesterday, for nostalgia sakes. It was freaking hard. Nothing is scripted, everything wants to kill you. Its unfair, which ultimately is what video games are meant to be, unforgiving, punishing. Skyrim and other new games are not that. The new NFS2013 game, terrible, the most amount of catch up I have ever seen in a game in my life.

Its probably the worst thing to be introduced to video games. I was playing crash bandicoot yesterday, for nostalgia sakes. It was freaking hard. Nothing is scripted, everything wants to kill you. Its unfair, which ultimately is what video games are meant to be, unforgiving, punishing. Skyrim and other new games are not that. The new NFS2013 game, terrible, the most amount of catch up I have ever seen in a game in my life.

Unfair within reason. For example, I don't think anyone would like a game with enemies that respawn faster than you can kill them.

But yes, games should ideally force the player to overcome poor odds with skill, rather than just serving as an interactive movie. The only games in recent memory to keep the older skill requirement that I can think of are Dark Souls, The Witcher 2, and perhaps Borderlands 2. And to be fair, even those are more forgiving than games used to be.

Edited by Rennn

Unfair within reason. For example, I don't think anyone would like a game with enemies that respawn faster than you can kill them.

But yes, games should ideally force the player to overcome poor odds with skill, rather than just serving as an interactive movie. The only games in recent memory to keep the older skill requirement that I can think of are Dark Souls, The Witcher 2, and perhaps Borderlands 2. And to be fair, even those are more forgiving than games used to be.

I have dark souls and borderlands 2 and I agree, they are hard, but I agree also that they are not like how games used to be. Obviously don't want enemies with unlimited health, able to one shot the played every time etc... But a challenge would be appreciated :)