Please boycott Ender's game if you care about equality and the end

Michlo

MajKrAzAm, so sorry to break the horrible news to you mate, but Chik-fil-A stopped supporting hate groups ... because of boycotts. You'll just have to donate directly to NOM or Westboro or whoever.

jim_uk, freedom of speech allows us to speak our mind. It does not protect us from criticism of that speech if we say something stupid or repugnant. A boycott does not infringe on anyone's rights.

SgtHighwaters, your entire reply is absurd, but especially your view of what a boycott is. People have a right to control their own wallet and exercising that right does not interfere with anyone else's right.

An organised boycott is more than criticism, it's punishment, in this case it's an attempt to hurt both him and the studio financially.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MajKrAzAm, so sorry to break the horrible news to you mate, but Chik-fil-A stopped supporting hate groups ... because of boycotts. You'll just have to donate directly to NOM or Westboro or whoever.

jim_uk, freedom of speech allows us to speak our mind. It does not protect us from criticism of that speech if we say something stupid or repugnant. A boycott does not infringe on anyone's rights.

SgtHighwaters, your entire reply is absurd, but especially your view of what a boycott is. People have a right to control their own wallet and exercising that right does not interfere with anyone else's right.

Yet you only took one small part of the entire response, and called the rest (I doubt you even read it's entirety) out, based on what? That your actions are just as bad as his? His actions are trying to prevent somebody completely unrelated to him to stop what they want to do, so you are going to do the exact same thing? You're trying to use a flamethrower to put out a burning building.

Your freedom of speech does not include denying others the right to their freedom of speech.

Edited by SgtHighwaters

This isn't a movie that sounds interesting to me at all, and Orson Scott Card seems to basically be another junk culture comic book and sci fi writer, but the gay activist rhetoric is at a desperate pitch. Not to mention that the organization "Geeks Out" combines two obnoxious groups that I dislike. Ender's Game became a huge nerd touchstone because it is about a super-genius kid who is endlessly tormented and bullied for no reason but he still saves the galaxy in the end. Inside their heads, each homosexual and nerd is a persecuted genius being kept down by hateful bigots and jocks. So Card turning out to be a conservative Christian was felt by nerds/gays as a huge betrayal.

This boycott is just another great example of the gay coalition trying to strong arm the rest of us into their agenda. Given that this is a popular book and a major film starring Harrison Ford that will have strong merchandising tie-ins, I doubt this latest gay hissy fit will amount to anything. It will probably fall flat just like their Chick-Fil-A "Kiss In" which really just served to annoy and gross out normal people.

The more militant and outrageous these gay advocates become with their boycott demands, the less effective they will become over time - resulting in more and more people either ignoring them or purposely turning against them out of spite.

"...Your freedom ends where mine begins..."

People abuse this so called "freedom" of speech. Extremism is bad. No matter the cause. Nobody should be able to say what they want and get away with it. The key is moderation.

Edited by Yoshh

This isn't a movie that sounds interesting to me at all, and Orson Scott Card seems to basically be another junk culture comic book and sci fi writer, but the gay activist rhetoric is at a desperate pitch. Not to mention that the organization "Geeks Out" combines two obnoxious groups that I dislike. Ender's Game became a huge nerd touchstone because it is about a super-genius kid who is endlessly tormented and bullied for no reason but he still saves the galaxy in the end. Inside their heads, each homosexual and nerd is a persecuted genius being kept down by hateful bigots and jocks. So Card turning out to be a conservative Christian was felt by nerds/gays as a huge betrayal.

This boycott is just another great example of the gay coalition trying to strong arm the rest of us into their agenda. Given that this is a popular book and a major film starring Harrison Ford that will have strong merchandising tie-ins, I doubt this latest gay hissy fit will amount to anything. It will probably fall flat just like their Chick-Fil-A "Kiss In" which really just served to annoy and gross out normal people.

The more militant and outrageous these gay advocates become with their boycott demands, the less effective they will become over time - resulting in more and more people either ignoring them or purposely turning against them out of spite.

Excuse me? What gay agenda? What gay coalition? Is simply expecting to receive equal rights because I'm homosexual now a bad thing? Is opposing someone who opposes equal rights for homosexuals now a bad thing?

If you're human and you have a brain you should be standing up for equal rights for all not because you're being 'strong-armed' into some 'agenda,' but because it's the right thing to do.

I don't support the gay boycott myself, but your post comes across as extremely bigoted and homophobic, which I sincerely hope was not your intention.

Edited by Zewp

I have read this thread from it's inception and must admit to being somewhat bemused. First off I was totally unfamiliar with the author or his works but the thread made me do a mild bit of back tracking of reviews of his works as to gain a handle on them. No where within the reviews of his collected works did I see mention of his personal views on gays, neither did the film previewers make mention of it either. So I am left with the presumption that there is a collective judgement being made here of his personal views being transferred to his art. Using this as a guide shall we now judge Michelangelo's David on the basis of his private views? Is art a stand alone or have we reached the stage where the PC police feel entitled to damn the object because they object to the person? That seems as illogical as damning the collected works of Oscar Wilde or Truman Capote because you disapprove of their sexual preferences. Art stands or falls on it's own merits..or that's at least the way i was taught to appreciate it. When the film does get released I will judge whether it's worth viewing by the reviews of it's actual content not the perceived views of it's author.

Punishing private citizens for utilizing their freedom of speech will not end hate, but speech.

But what happens when your freedom of speech is used to advocate the removal of others' rights?

Politicians sure seem to get away with it.

To be completely serious, freedom of speech is all about being able to say what you want, when you want. As long as you are not physically removing someone else's rights, or doing something criminal like inciting violence (another topic entirely) a person should be able to express their opinions without fear of punishment - be it from the government or from the population. Just like it's not fair for, say, Christian groups to advocate mass boycotts of a gay author's film, it isn't fair to advocate mass boycotts of Card's film for talking about his unfortunate opinion.

Edited by BriannaElisabeth

Something that seems to be lost in this thread is that Freedom of Speech is the right of someone to speak without hindrance even when the message they have makes your skin crawl. Attempting to silence someone by extra legal methods such as boycotts is simply trying an end run around the First Amendment. Freedom of Speech is exactly that..the unabridged right to say what you like or believe with the notable exception of inciting criminal or treasonous acts.