Permission/Credit question

So, I'm using a hair mod that's not on the Nexus for one of my characters. I want to turn this character into a stand alone follower. I've gotten permission to use the hair from the author of the hair pack, however, they do not have explicit permission themselves to use the actual hair mesh(which was created for another game several years ago) from the original author of said mesh.

I really like this hair, but approaching the original author for permission may expose certain parties to... unwanted recourse as the original author has been known to be tough about giving permission/exploring legal options (and may even charge money for the original hair mesh on their website which adds to the possible fallout). This is the kind of thing where I don't want to rock the boat but I also don't want to flagrantly disregard the user rules of the Nexus by not getting permission. My main question is: Since I have permission to use part of a mod in my mod from the person who assembled the mod, added new textures and implemented the execution of the pack, would I be able to get away with just crediting the original author of the asset without obtaining expressed permission? Or would that be inviting a firstorm down upon the house of Dirk45?

Some guidance(preferably from a moderator or seasoned modder that has dealt with this kind of thing before) would be much appreciated. Ideally, I would prefer to stay in good standing with the Nexus sites AND not bring about some sort of legal witch-hunt on users here and on other sites.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

P.S. Obviously I know I could just take my mod to one of those other sites but I would much rather release it here.

In fact, if I can't bring it here, well, then I just won't release it... I guess.

P.P.S. I never seem to have problems that fall easily into categories here on the forums. If this is in the wrong place I'm terribly sorry.

You are responsible for the content of your file. If the author of the hair did not have permission then you should not use it in your mod. Also providing a link to something which may be considered an illegal port is not permitted.

I would make use of one of the many wonderful hairs available with no permission issues.

Sorry for the tough answer but I wish you the best of luck and I hope this answered your question.

~Lisnpuppy