Oblivion on Steam: moddable?

Wadarkhu

Hullo,

I've lost my Oblivion disk, so I'm planning on buying it on Steam: this worries me, because two years or so ago, I heard alot about how people with Steam Oblivion couldn't install this or that mod.

So, does anyone have experience on how Oblivion on Steam pans out?

Theenx! :biggrin:

It is completely moddable.

In fact, the Steam devs actually supported the OBSE devs back then to create a way to get the Oblivion Script Extender working with Oblivion from Steam even.

However, you need to take care of certain issues caused only by Oblivion from Steam as well first.

Namely it will be impossible to get any 'replacer'-type mods working at all from the start, because the BSA files, where all original game resources are stored in, when coming from Steam are dated far too recently for any mods' files ever to have a chance to be used over their contents. This even eliminates all attempts at Archive Invalidation. And additionally with Steam Oblivion Archive Invalidation means all of a suden are required for just about 'all' types of files, whereas with a disc version it was always ever only needed for replacement 'textures'.

Nevertheless all this can also be overcome rather simply. Just re-date the BSA files' dates back to somewhere appropriate, using a 3rd party file redate tool, or simply go into the Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM), its Archive Invalidation Utilities, and click the button "Reset BSA timestamps" once. Then apply the Archive Invalidation method called "BSA Redirection" and no other, and all should be well. BSA Redirection can also be applied though Wrye Bash's Replacer tab, the famous mod "ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!" and since recently even the Nexus Mod Manager. They all do the same.

What is still paramount though, also with Oblivion from Steam, is that later OS like Vista or Win7/8 with User Account Control (UAC) will cause massive trouble when the game is installed at the default location, somewhere inside program files. 3rd party tools, like mod managers, won't have access permission to this area and their files will end up in some compatibility folders inside your user folders, while your Explorer will still tell you they were where you put them. The game, however, cannot be lied to by the OS like you can and simply won't find them. Steam is installed inside program files as well by default, so this concern is especially true for it as well.

Other than that, I don't know any mod or tool that will not work with Steam Oblivion, none at all.

Weird, I never had to do any of that to get my replacer mods to work on Steam.

To the OP: for me, the mods work just as they did with the disc-based installation. In fact, I just hit the mod limit last night. Don't worry, the game still experiences the mod-heavy CTDs we all know and love. <3