Real Shelter

Shadeybladey

argf, makes me sad to see authors leave nexus due to their strict rules, more warnings should be given instead of instant bans.

He didn't get "instant banned." He removed all of his mods from the Nexus, then started a post about how the Nexus was becoming too 'adult oriented' and his 'dissatisfaction' with the Nexus. His account was closed after that.

The author did say he tried to make amends and come back to the site, but the admins wouldn't let him, so he was effectively banned.

And frankly, the site is very adult-oriented. 70% of the top mods are adult mods, and a lot of times the majority of the mods featured on the banner of the main page are adult mods. This site isn't as adult oriented as certain other sites, but it is still very adult oriented, there's no denying this. Whether that's good or bad is up to each individual user, personally I don't care.

argf, makes me sad to see authors leave nexus due to their strict rules, more warnings should be given instead of instant bans.

He didn't get "instant banned." He removed all of his mods from the Nexus, then started a post about how the Nexus was becoming too 'adult oriented' and his 'dissatisfaction' with the Nexus. His account was closed after that.

The author did say he tried to make amends and come back to the site, but the admins wouldn't let him, so he was effectively banned.

And frankly, the site is very adult-oriented. 70% of the top mods are adult mods, and a lot of times the majority of the mods featured on the banner of the main page are adult mods. This site isn't as adult oriented as certain other sites, but it is still very adult oriented, there's no denying this. Whether that's good or bad is up to each individual user, personally I don't care.

1) Once again, he didn't get "instant banned."

2) I would absolutely disagree that the Nexus contains more 'adult oriented' mods than the Steam Workshop. I have no problems with sex and sexuality (even though I've never used any of the 'sex mods' and don't understand the appeal). Men have nipples. Women have nipples. I don't understand why the sight of women's nipples is 'taboo' like some sort of shameful body part that need to be covered up in the presence of children when even babies are 'allowed' to see them, yet men's nipples are not. I find violence far more appalling and 'adult-oriented.' But all of this is completely moot and is just rehashing things that have already been said over and over again. The bottom-line is that It's very simple to filter out the stuff that are currently categorized as 'adult content' mods (unless that setting is currently not working).

But now that I am all worked up over this, I feel the need to go on for a bit before this thread gets (rightfully) locked.

I really dislike skimpy female 'armour', not because they show 'skin' but because they are not really 'armour' (if I am looking for 'armour' mods, I am looking for 'armour' mods, not falsely advertised 'armour' mods that are not really 'armour' mods). Unlike 'adult mods', I can't even filter this stuff out. But I don't see any point in starting a new thread to try and galvanize other Nexus users to compel 'change' (and I can guarantee that more users agree with me that metal bikinis are not 'armour' than there are those who think the Nexus is saturated with 'adult content'). Because while I expect to be able to contribute some minimal input along with other users as to how the Nexus is run when input is requested by the site admins, I do not expect the admins to cater to my personal whims and desires, nor do I think everyone (or anyone, for that matter) should conform to my personal feelings about bikini 'armour.'

3) If one of my house guests came over to my place and started arguing with me about my furnishings, saying my furnishings are too 'adult oriented' or trashy, and demand that I refurnish my place to their liking, I don't think I would be inviting that guest back again.

Edited by ripple

Point 3 is irrelevant. This isn't someone's house and from what I see that didn't happen. I was not able to see the Moderator thread about it.

He made his reasons why he was going to remove his mods clear. Moderators made it clear it was up to him to turn filters and parent control on so his kids did not see "Schlongs of Skyrim" as the top mod when they were looking for weapons and spell mods.

I checked the authors profiles and read the threads that led to the account being closed and saw the moderator closing the account to make it easier for the author in his dilemma.

I think I have all the facts I need to answer my original query, so if there is a moderator about please lock this thread as I don't want members arguing and falling out with each other over it.

Cheers!

~.~

Point 3 is irrelevant. This isn't someone's house and from what I see that didn't happen. I was not able to see the Moderator thread about it.

Well, no, it's not irrelevant. The 'house analogy' is what is commonly used to describe 'privately' operated forums and sites with 'house rules', where some people may at times yell things like "I have a right to say what I want because this is a 'public space'!" (which it's not). I don't see why it wouldn't apply here, if the claim that the mod author allegedly attempted to 'make amends'

is somehow insinuating that either the site admins or the moderators were 'unreasonable' for not reversing the initial ban.

Edited by ripple

• 1 month later...

Well, no, it's not irrelevant. The 'house analogy' is what is commonly used to describe 'privately' operated forums and sites with 'house rules', where some people may at times yell things like "I have a right to say what I want because this is a 'public space'!" (which it's not). I don't see why it wouldn't apply here, if the claim that the mod author allegedly attempted to 'make amends'

is somehow insinuating that either the site admins or the moderators were 'unreasonable' for not reversing the initial ban.

It's called looking out for the communities best interest. This is a MODDING site, and on the Black Tree Gaming About page they market it as a "Social Network for Gaming" site. If they want to run this site to support the community, they should consider how THEIR actions affect the community.

Also, this site is a Business, not just some random backwoods gaming site or somebody's House. If they weren't making a profit off of this site, you best believe it wouldn't be here with the expenses it takes to run this big of a network.

Here's a little food for thought, since you like comparing things:

If you call up Amazon and b&@*$ to their customer service, do they immediately terminate any ability you have to purchase or sell items on their site? No, they don't.

If you complain about how their site looks, or the type of materials they have available, you will get the response "Thank you for your feedback, we will take this into consideration" as any PROFESSIONAL company would. They wouldn't remove you from the site with no chance of returning, because they understand how this would affect their customers.

They care about the profits they get from their customers, and in turn their customer's satisfaction FIRST and FOREMOST.

The customers of this website is the community that downloads mods. The admins should care about this community FIRST and FOREMOST. If a "seller" (mod author) has disagreements, but attempts to make amends, they should consider how leaving said author banned will affect the Community.

Over an argument as silly and petty as this, it is really over-the-top to have the author banned from this website permanently. A temporary ban to have them cool their attitude, understandable, but a permanent ban is an abuse of admin power.

I've adminned for a number of sites, including a large TF2 community site, and the perma-banhammer was almost never dropped. Even when someone directly insulted a mod or admin. We always gave temporary bans, and usually the person would come back and apologize and things would return to normal, and the community benefited from this type of action in the long run.

The situation that happened here, only serves to hurt the community and boost the admin's ego. I hate to say it, but it's true.

Real Shelter is superior (in terms of functionality) to 80% of the other mods on this site. It attempts to do something Bethesda THEMSELVES said would be impossible, and it succeeds at doing so. With this mod being gone from the Nexus, well over half of the Skyrim modding community will be left unaware of a mod that they might find essential to their Skyrim experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I second this. After perusing for hundreds of mods on skyrim nexus I am surprised at the number of authors that have been permanently banned. I am genuinely surprised that an author can be banned from such a venue only by expressing opinions. I find myself, as described above, looking for this mod which is truly a 'gem', and not being able to find it because the author was banned for speaking his/her mind...

I find myself, as described above, looking for this mod which is truly a 'gem', and not being able to find it because the author was banned for speaking his/her mind...

Check post #8 for links to TES Alliance.

• 2 months later...

sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I was wondering:

if I download one of the translated versions, is there anything other than the MCM tab for this mod that will turn up in that language?

I've never used it, but it doesn't seem like it adds any other text.

has anyone tried this?

thanks.

• 9 months later...