Adding Attach points to objects for NPC 'sit' animations (what am I missing?)

PJMail

Trying to add a seventh attach point (for NPCs) to an object (Vertibird) that is treated as Furniture (using existing animations) but I am missing something...

- I have added the extra connect point (ConnectPoint::parents) to the Skeleton.nif of the object

- I have created the corresponding 'attach type' keyword (same name as the connect point)

- I have given that keyword to the test NPC

- I have duplicated the subgraph that is used for attaching an NPC to the object (with the new keyword) - obviously on the test NPC's Race

Basically I have duplicated everything - just like the first 6 connect(attach) points - for my new one.

But - when I do testNPC.snapintointeraction() the test NPC uses the correct animation but is positioned at one of the old attach points - not my new one.

If I change the animation path used in the subgraph the NPC uses the new 'sit' animation - so I know the NPC, keyword and subgraph additions are working - it is just the connection between keyword and the connect point on the Skeleton that is not there.

I had 'assumed' it was just a naming thing (the connection point had to have the same name as the attach keyword) - but there must be more to it than that. I can't find anything in CK or Nifscope.

Any clues? Note this is not weapon modding or Workshop snapping type connection point usage - this is NPC's 'sitting' on furniture attach points.

Or is the whole NPC attached to NPC thing actually hard coded and implemented in the game and only 'looks' like it could be extended...

Thanks

Edited by PJMail

This is my first time hearing about furniture connection points. Are these the points that serve to connect the add-ons of the armor to the bones?.. How to connect them to furniture?

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/56300-tutorial-visual-armor-modifications/

Something like that but used to attach NPC's, not static objects, so works differently which is my issue. The Armor addon process does not apply to this.

Take a look at this Drive folder.

Here's what I did:

- added a new Connection Point to the Vertibird's skeleton (p-attachTEMP)

- added a keyword (p-attachTEMP) to an actor (TEMP_NPC)

- added this keyword to HumanRaceSubGraphData.

I also changed the vanilla passenger animation path to "Actors\Character\Animations\Furniture\WoundedSitting".

Edited by LarannKiar

Can I use a similar method to attach a character to an animated nif? For example, a flying mesh, a floating mesh, or a train? At the moment, the mesh flies with the character only to the boundaries of the loaded area. When loading a new area, the mesh disappears for a second, the character falls, the mesh appears and animates further, but without the character. If I had a way to anchor the character to a transport model, I could launch transport. Or it would be great if there was a way to fly without using furniture, freely move around the flying mesh.Also, on meshes with static animation, I can generate navmesh, unlike furniture. Npc can walk on it and perform animations while the model moves in space. I've already experimented. And inside large interiors, everything flies well together with the npc and the character. If overcome this moment of "loading" the mesh, the vertibird will seem ridiculous nonsense. Edited by South8028

Can I use a similar method to attach a character to an animated nif? For example, a flying mesh, a floating mesh, or a train? At the moment, the mesh flies with the character only to the boundaries of the loaded area. When loading a new area, the mesh disappears for a second, the character falls, the mesh appears and animates further, but without the character. If I had a way to anchor the character to a transport model, I could launch transport.

I've never tried to add a connection point to an animated nif so I'm not sure but.. I think it's possible yes.

Note that companions also have a "vertibird passenger" AI package which forces them to remain seated (see Followers quest >> Quest Alias tab >> Companion >> Alias Package Data >> FollowersCompanionVertibirdSnapIntoPackage [PACK:001B2CE1]).

I think the "Display Name" in the keyword have to match the attach point name in the skeleton.

Thank you DieFeM - "Display Name" did it! Strangely I already had the Full name (and Form name) the same as the attach point - just like every other attach point in the game. Strange that the in-built attach point keywords DONT have the "Display Name" set... Bethesda

Thanks LarannKiar - I had already done everything you mentioned (as I said - the NPC was just using the wrong Attach point) - DieFeM solved the issue for me (crazy Bethesda inconsistencies with Attach Keywords).

I am actually adding a second Turret Gunner position on the other side for Companions...

So far so good but not sure if they will be anything other than 'cosmetic' as I am yet to see them fire the minigun even though they do when on normal gunner side (I resolved Companion usage of the minigun long ago).

To make your companion use the minigun, checkboxes of their AI package “Ignore Combat” and “No Combat Alert” need to be unchecked (just like on packages of the vertibird random encounter quests). (Those checkboxes are checked on the vanilla vertibird passenger AI package).