Wearable weapons?

Dramer47

The assorted gauntlets might look funny while holding a pistol, but the rest should look fairly natural if allowed to "exist" simultaneously. Does anyone know how difficult this would be to actually implement?

Off the top of my head I'd say it'd be very difficult to do at least without some major scripting and model rigging which will tie your hotkeyed items to occupy a certain "equip node" on your character's body - once you have this sorted you'll also need to figure what happens if you have two pistols on your hotkeys, five rifles or eight miniguns for that matter.

So while wearable weapons seems like a pretty straightforward thing to make, it's more complex than that because there's no existing framework to overwrite and you have to "teach" the game from the bottom up what "wearable" means when it comes to weapons.

The assorted gauntlets might look funny while holding a pistol, but the rest should look fairly natural if allowed to "exist" simultaneously. Does anyone know how difficult this would be to actually implement?

Off the top of my head I'd say it'd be very difficult to do at least without some major scripting and model rigging which will tie your hotkeyed items to occupy a certain "equip node" on your character's body - once you have this sorted you'll also need to figure what happens if you have two pistols on your hotkeys, five rifles or eight miniguns for that matter.

well there would have to be a variable to show the type weapon equipped and if no other weapon present in slot then to add to it...but as you said it would have to be built from the ground up in this case since there is no existing model

well i did some digging in the geck and i cant find anywhere where the holster weapon is referenced...anybody have an idea?

scripting and model rigging which will tie your hotkeyed items to occupy a certain "equip node" on your character's body - once you have this sorted you'll also need to figure what happens if you have two pistols on your hotkeys, five rifles or eight miniguns for that matter.

Interesting implementation, but I was actually thinking more along the lines of this:

Equipping a new weapon does not "clear" previously equipped weapons, unless it needs to in order to add the new one. This method would ideally not keep track of individual weapons in the inventory, but rather just check if the player is carrying at least one of each visibly equipped weapon. Removing all copies of a weapon equipped this way from your inventory would also clear it's designated spot.

So if a player goes from a 10mm pistol to a combat shotgun, both would be visible. If he then takes out a missile launcher, it would "overwrite" the shotgun. And if he got rid of all the 10mm pistols he was carrying, then he would once again have nothing on his right hip.

But then again, coding might as well be written in hieroglyphics as far as my computer illiterate ass is concerned. Would this line of logic be harder or easier to make work right?

I'm not a pro modder or anything but I imagine it'd be easy. i mean, there are mods that get rid of certain clothing layers, IE the Accessorized Helmets mod, which allows you to wear more than one piece of headgear. I think I might play around with the idea but personally, i think this could work if somebody actually put their mind on it. Maybe Jaysus, he seems bad ass enough to do it. lol

PennywiseTheClow knows what's up. The idea of making the weapon into an accessory while not in use, or not apparent while unequipped. If someone could pull off a mod of this caliber effectively, then that person might be sitting on top of a, "I can't even play this game with out ________'s mod!... I owe him a *uck'n kidney."

I'm not exactly a great coder, but I know the basics, I imagine an experienced coder could do this. Have the code first reference your equipped weapon and either leave that slot open, or store it to be swapped out when you equip/unequip. Then tell it to reference the quick slots in order. As it checks the slots have it equip the first of each type of weapon it finds. I.E. you have a 10mm pistol in slot 1, a hunting rifle in 2, a ripper in 3, a laser pistol in 4, a minigun in 5, and an assault rifle equipped.

So, it checks slot 1, sees a right leg weapon, and places it, checks 2 and either puts it on the back or leaves it (depending how we want to treat the equipped weapon, either leaving that slot open at all times or swapping the two), on to 3, it finds a left leg weapon and places it, in 4 it finds another right leg, but since it already equipped one it skips it, same with slot 5, we already have a back weapon, so it gets skipped. etc. etc.

I hope that made sense, I can see how it would work, heck it may even be possible to have two on the back. I'm not sure, but the weapon is held differently on the back with power armor, it may be that they would cross.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...