Alternatives to Economics of Skyrim's blacksmithing/ enchanting se

balakadut

As we have known, EoS has now been hidden from Nexus files due to no more support.

There may have been gamebreaking glitches within the mod, though I believe that not all of the features contained in the mod contribute to the glitches.

For example, blacksmithing and enchanting services which allows us to order from them new weapons and armors, as well as the ability to upgrade our stuff for several sum of gold. The fact that the extent of smithing/ upgrading things are also dependent by each smith is also intuitive.

I have looked everywhere else but to no avail. There's SHARPE Craftsmanship, though it is limited to only Eourlund Grey-Mane, I'd like to see it that I can ask these services to every each of blacksmiths/ mages in Skyrim.

With that said, are there any other alternatives that's something along the line of my thoughts, or is there a way that we can just 'nab' these specific features off EoS and make it a seperate mod?

Note: I found this mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/35986 which may be what I need sans enchanting. Would you recommend?

Edit: just want to point out that thread's title is cut due to it being too long :pinch: the cut word is 'services'.

Edited by balakadut

This is interesting. I will do a simple mod that adds these two options. How should I handle smithing perks? Should the improvement level be calculated as if the smiths had the "can improve twice as much" stat for all weapons? I would make it race-dependent (i.e., Ghorza can improve Orc weapons twice as much), but obviously there aren't blacksmiths for all the races.

This is interesting. I will do a simple mod that adds these two options. How should I handle smithing perks? Should the improvement level be calculated as if the smiths had the "can improve twice as much" stat for all weapons? I would make it race-dependent (i.e., Ghorza can improve Orc weapons twice as much), but obviously there aren't blacksmiths for all the races.

balakadut,

Many thanks for posting this topic. I too feel the lost of EOS' author feeling the need to move on. Thanks again for the great finds.

LP1,

On the behalf of many, a thousand thanks for willing to consider creating a "blacksmith / enchanter for hire" mod. Silly suggestion from me (and I agree with the race-dependent approach)...for smithing (and to keep the mod simple without repeating the same method as in the Blacksmith Upgrades and Forging), I would suggest a damage rating + chance system...e.g., smith charges a flat fee per upgrade, each upgrade add (for example) 10 damage bonus, with a small chance of -5 penalty and a small chance for +5 added bonus. I will take advantage of your racial suggestion as a cap system (e.g., Ghorza can upgrade orcish items to certain quality but no other, except perhaps Eorlund Graymane). To make legendary items, well, legendary (including unique artifacts)...perhaps only a selected smith (or two, depending on the item) can have a chance to craft / upgrade such item. For enchanting...another silly (and simple) suggestion. Player pays a fee and hand over an item with the same enchant effect + item to be enchanted. Only selected enchanters can create items with 2 enchant effects...hope it make sense.

Again, thank you.

Based on EoS, the maximum upgrade possible for armors and weapons is dependent to the skills of the blacksmith. For example, you wouldn't expect the blacksmith in Riverwood to be able to upgrade your things to Legendary, won't you?

As for forging a new weapon, the idea of race is interesting. Location, and the wealth of the areas too as factors would be nice. You wouldn't expect blacksmiths in Stormcloak-dominant areas to forge Imperial gear.

For now, I only wish for something as basic as this. Anything else that involves the tweaking of stats/ numbers will be up to you! Thanks again for reading.

Can we also add travelling trading caravan across Skyrim that has bodyguards and bandits attack them ahahaha. They do transactions in different holds in Skyrim. They deliver the supplies ordered by specific merchant (ingredients), blacksmith (ores, pelts), Enchanters (Gemstone) for their trades (better if we can see NPC like Farengar, Adrianna and etc approaching the trading caravan outside the hold). And if the caravan was successfully ambushed by bandits, supplies won't be delivered, merchants will complain about their supply and that they don't have anything to sell for the meantime.

Smaller group of caravan, goes to smaller villages, mines, farms and etc to buy supplies from them.

I like this idea. I remember finding Economics of Skyrim on another web site. And after reading up on it I was disappointing to read that it had game breaking glitches in it. I was actually thinking of trying to make a mod slimier to Economics of Skyrim (as long as I wouldn't get in any trouble) But since I don't have any scripting skills. My mod probably would just limit where you could buy certain items. Unless of course someone with scripting experience would want help. Then maybe we could try and re-create Economics of Skyrim only different (I don't know how it will be different yet), so we wouldn't get into trouble for just copying a mod.

Okay, as I get down to actually implementing this, I have a couple of more questions:

How do I make this mod "balanced?" Meaning, if a certain blacksmith (let's say Eorlund) is capable of upgrading weapons to Legendary, what is to prevent a character from saving up his money and taking his weapon straight to Eorlund, making his weapon then overpowered very early in the game? In the base game, this is not an issue since you have to level up quite a bit to get your smithing to 100.

Do I make a system where different quality upgrades cost you more? So perhaps Eorlund could do all the different levels of upgrades, but Legendary is really, really expensive (thereby making it later-game content)?

Okay, as I get down to actually implementing this, I have a couple of more questions:

How do I make this mod "balanced?" Meaning, if a certain blacksmith (let's say Eorlund) is capable of upgrading weapons to Legendary, what is to prevent a character from saving up his money and taking his weapon straight to Eorlund, making his weapon then overpowered very early in the game? In the base game, this is not an issue since you have to level up quite a bit to get your smithing to 100.

Do I make a system where different quality upgrades cost you more? So perhaps Eorlund could do all the different levels of upgrades, but Legendary is really, really expensive (thereby making it later-game content)?

I say just make it really expensive. If someone wants the best then they are going to need to pay for it. And to be honest. I always found it stupid when people would complain about something that they don't need to do. I say if you don't like it that someone can upgrade the weapons to legendary then don't pay them to upgrade it to legendary.

What were the game breaking glitches it had? been using it for as long as i can remember and nothing bad has ever happened with EoS so far.

Also if you would like i can post the Cost per upgrade of Smith/chanter services for you that EoS used.

I don't really remember. I just found this http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/594367-economics-of-skyrim/page-111 I guess the mod was no longer supported (which is why I want to try and recreate it, with the help of anyone that wants to help) and the pricing of the items would remain even after uninstalling the mod.

I guess all of those issues is why it got removed from the Nexus.