Opinions on my model! :)

ciedeeh

Hey all,

I've been out of the modding scene for a little while now and am looking to get back into it. I've been working with 3ds Max for a whole day now, and was hoping I could get some opinion about one of my first projects.

The little mouse droid, from star wars. I haven't put any textures on, just material forms from the program.

Managed to import it kinda into nifskope, but I'm a little more worried about the model itself. Is it decent? What do you think could be improved on?

Just looking for some feedback. :smile:

• 1 month later...

The wheels could do with an increase in the Sides, I think its defaulted to about 15 in Max? Try about 25, may become a bit rounder. As for the side of the model, you may be interested in a Plugin called Greeble which will do bumps and antenna etc for you. Google it! :)

Given the relative size the model will be at assuming it will be the size of a chicken in say Skyrim I think the detail for the wheels is probably sufficient.

I would agree with Gamerbird. learning how to create normal maps from high-res geometry helps reduce the polycount. Speaking of which http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap/ goes through various techniques for maintaining detail whilst optimising the mesh for performance.

• 1 month later...

For a first time project its pretty good. I think you got the basic look / feel down well.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080318141839/starwars/images/b/b7/MSE-6_btm.jpg

If you want, looking at the reference, try and get the silhouette a little closer? Maybe add wheel wells, etc.

For a real-time game mesh everything should be pretty optimised. Based off the assumed size, it looks to be a pretty small item? If so, there's too much geometry on the side and top. Its so small the player wont even be able to appreciate all of the detail. Instead, look at baking some high poly, and if you want follow it up with a "few" of your extruded pieces you have.

Hi!

I think ur model is really nice and before i looked at the thread i thought it was gonna be some super highpoly thing and then i see that u are being very reasonable about the geometry on something ur gona use in a game.

Im agreeing with everyone else otherwise, specialy about the wheel wells.

On proportions of your model appear slightly off, in ref it is more exaggerated the size of wheels, and the rim of the upper shell. just go with whatever looks good to u tho.

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...