Farming/Harvesting

Helldrone

you wouldn't necessarily need fresh soil, just fresh water (those rivet city dummies did it x_x)

call it a hydroponics farm

but i don't think the plants would grow good on irradiated soil even if you added clean water

Well they might grow, they'd just be irradiated as well.

But if you use hydroponics you don't use soil to grow plants, but then that pretty much takes out the point of 'farming'.

you wouldn't necessarily need fresh soil, just fresh water (those rivet city dummies did it x_x)

but i don't think the plants would grow good on irradiated soil even if you added clean water

But if you use hydroponics you don't use soil to grow plants, but then that pretty much takes out the point of 'farming'.

I just came to think of the mod from CLShade made for Oblivion that could make you various of new stuff like Smithing your own Weapond and Mining Ore to Smelt and Even Growing plants...

Ok here's my point you know there is Fresh Potato's and Carrots and stuff... why not able to grow them, and yes about the wasteland to be impossibol to grow stuff in but included in the mod it just happend to be a house near a hill that have some fresh good soil that have not been exposed to heavy radiation..... Irratdiated yes but enough to actully grow veggies there

Im just throwing an advice in the air if some one is missing that feeling a bit

all theese idea's is from CLShades but just throwing it in to the FO3 Topic XD

Wouldn't the irradiated soil and water end up irradiating the plants?

mutated plants. basiclly gigantic or really retarded looking fruits. or even worse. a live venus fly trap that eats people.

I think this is a good idea (what I've been waiting for). Other than growable/harvestable plants (like elder scrolls had) Something (TREES that are alive) have to be growing for there to release oxygen and to remove Co2 and for the (almost no existant) animals to eat. I think they dropped the ball on plants and animals while making the game. i wanna see mutant deer, birds/bats that just dont fly overhead. I think a Jonny Appleseed type mod would be cool. Go to theOasis take plant seeds or plants and grow them and add animals to Oasis to release too. I don't know how to mod yet but if I learn how I would add farming etc.

I just googled chernobyl http://pripyat.com/en/publications/2006/04/09/751.html and theres all kinds of plants and animals growing/living there again that were there before and they are un-mutated (natural selection mutants were undesirable to mate with). 66 species of mammals 280 species of birds. And there are crazy people there growing and eating vegetable. No I would not eat them.

I just googled chernobyl http://pripyat.com/en/publications/2006/04/09/751.html and theres all kinds of plants and animals growing/living there again that were there before and they are un-mutated (natural selection mutants were undesirable to mate with). 66 species of mammals 280 species of birds. And there are crazy people there growing and eating vegetable. No I would not eat them.

Your thinking of this in terms of factual information, not the fallout 3 world-of-tomorrow 50's thinking of radiation. In real life, yes, radiation isn't going to turn you into a ghoul or a mutant, and you're not going to sprout a 3rd eyeball. However, that's how the fictionalized radiation of the fallout universe works.

But all this crap about radiation doesn't matter. Somehow, the people in fallout 1+2 were able to farm, so why not #3? And, as a mod, it doesn't have to be 100% plot-friendly... so someone just go out there and make farming a reality! um... simulation...

The soil is not heavily irridiated (the strong radiation decays within the first year or two), and there won't barely be anything left in it after 200 years. The water washed it all out. Meaning it's in the water now (at least they got that right in FO3). Still, you can grow stuff. You'll have to get more or less clean water, but purifying water is not such a big task in smaller amounts, meaning you'll have to go hydroponic. Even if you can't, planting food is still a neccessity. Even if your food is irridiated you'll live longer by eating it than by not eating anything. And a society cannot live on cans for 200 years, they should be well spent by now.

In Fallout 1&2 Farming was an essential part of the economy. Shady Sands lived of farming, and Adytum tried desperately to become self-sufficient by building underground hydroponics so they are not dependant on the Hub for food anymore. Indeed New Reno was the most critisiced town in Fallout 2, because there was no way a city like that could survive in a PA scenario.

So, if you want to get in farming, there's no reason not to. The lore confirms it, and neccesety commands it. The reason that there are no farms in Fallout 3 is not because it would be unrealistic, but because Beth didn't bother a minute with stuff like realism and giving their towns a believable economy. Believability doesn't seem to fit their definition of "imershun". Well, enough of the rant.

Farming in a post nuclear environment is not only perfectly reasonable, it is perfectly neccessary. If anyone wants to bring it into the game, go for it.

As for those suggesting that Vault-Tec would have designed some sort of Soil-purifier, indeed they did. It's called a G.E.C.K. and it's a piece of equipement of substantial value, and getting one you'd probably not start your own farm with it... you'd start your own country, or at very least your own town (I still think TenPenny got a G.E.C.K. No way to live like that without one... Beth could have done some great quests and mysteries there, but I guess it's not interesting enough when you don't get to kill stuff. Darn, I'm ranting again.) Anyways, I think it wouldn't be wise to bring a G.E.C.K. into the picture just because of a farm mod, since it's a truly world changing piece of equipement. Simple farming for survival works just as well without it.

I was thinking about the whole canned food thing and maybe 199 years expired food should be a weapon. I don't think a G.E.C.K. is needed for growing food since there is the Oasis as a source for plants and the fresh produce in the Rivet City lab (they didnt use a GECK) just tie the two together.

Archived