Improved Pistol I & II

HannibaleRex

Apologies if this has already been addressed somewhere, but a (very cursory) search didn't show up anything.

As far as I can tell, neither Improved Pistol I nor Improved Pistol II have an actual in-game effect; both of these seem to be overridden by the main weapon somehow. If you have a rifle type weapon, your main weapon and pistol accuracy will always be the same - i.e. the pistol will get an accuracy bonus if your primary weapon is a light plasma rifle, but it won't get one if you use a regular plasma rifle, even if you have IP2 researched. Neither does the improved critical chance from IP1 seem to have any effect.

Special abilities seem to only affect the main weapon; a sniper with snap shot won't have the aim penalty on his pistol, (working correctly) but an assault with double tap can shoot his pistol twice without the -15% penalty (bugged).

Edited by Hannibal Rex

We'd noticed the same on Long War. Attempting to give the pistol a built-in aim bonus (or penalty) through the DGC.ini had no effect. The pistol had the same aim as usual.

I'm suspecting that the aim code for pistols is a bit messed up, and the to-hit calculations are nearly impossible to mod from being buried in the native code.