The Greybeards or the Blades?

Lehcar

The Greybeards allow you to choose your own path. If you talk to Arngeir after killing Alduin (and you decided not to kill Paarthurnax), Arngeir tells you that your future is up to you. On the other hand, even though the Blades say that they're here to help and guide you, it's blatantly obvious that you're their weapon against dragons and the Thalmor. If anything, the Blades must not think very highly of you. Delphine says that Paarthurnax was protected by the Greybeards and then the Emperors. The Blades once served the Emperors without issue, but as soon as you come on, they're all like "We can't help you until Paarthurnax is dead despite formerly serving people who also protected Paarthurnax". As such, I conclude that at least Delphine thinks that you can be pushed around unlike previous Dragonborn. I cannot align myself with such a b****.

That's pretty much it, you nailed it.

Interesting...and very irritating thing I noticed about Delphine....I use the Mod Player Headtracking, an element of the Mod is facial expressions based upon your PC's disposition/relationship towards any given NPC....the Mod itself doesn't set the disposition, just recognizes these disposition/relationship meters in game....long story short, if you have the 'Facial Expressions' toggled on in the MCM your Dovahkin smiles from ear to ear starting with his very first meeting with Delphine.... :blink: ....suffice to say I disabled Facial Expressions and wonder just what in the hell Bethesda writers were thinking when they dialoged Delphine.... :blink: ...they think she is likable?... :huh: ...I detest having to deal with her.... :pinch:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delphine is actually a pretty good example of someone in her situation.

Hunted for years, surviving by using everything she's been trained to - spying, infiltration, subterfuge, misdirection, stealth and no doubt - assassination - plus all sorts of other cloak and dagger operations to throw any potential hostiles off her track, but also taking any advantage she can to mess with the plans and actions of known enemies. Something she sees with the Dragonborn - someone fresh into their role, unsure of their power and from her view - easily led. Dealing with the Dragons to her - was a side article, she thought the Thalmor had a hand in their appearance, and If it means messing up Thalmor schemes - she's going to manipulate the Dragonborn as much as she can. It's what she does.

Finding out the Thalmor didn't know about the Dragons was a disappointment - if they had been, then that information would have been a goldmine - seeding that amongst the warring factions and the general population would have led to an uproar against them.

As stated, the freshly empowered Dovahkiin is a very convenient weapon that's literally walked into her tavern and said "So, what's my next task?" and Delphine is pointing them right where she wants the damage done. So as a few have said, no - Delphine does not think highly of the Dragonborn - but she does value the power that is present within them, because that is something she can use. As long as she can keep them focused - which is why she dislikes the Greybeards, a group of powerful men that squander their abilities when it could be used for so much.

Perhaps why she's so insistent on the death of Paarthanax, she's most likely hoping that if she can convince the Dragonborn go through with it, the Greybeards will want nothing more to do with them - and that will get them out of her way to finish "fine tuning" her new weapon into something that can be called upon to act without interference. She has no use for something that she can't use when needed, so if the Dragonborn hesitates/refuses in the killing of Paarthanax - then they can't fulfill the role she wants them to, and is useless from that point on.

So yes, she's a harsh, direct and manipulative harpy of a woman - because that's what her training as a Blade has made her.

Greybeards:

Honestly, I expected more resistance from them over the Paarthanax issue - obviously not happy with it but despite their dedication to him and following of his teachings, they allow you to continue on up that mountain to bring their ancient master his death? When I first picked the option to kill him (a very long time back) I at least expected them to try and blockade me from getting up there. Didn't happen, a few disappointed words and a basic "do what you will" style speech. I'd say they are incredibly dedicated to the meditative and passive nature of the teachings indeed if they are willing to let you carry out the act.

For all intents you kill the Greybeard order along with Paarthanax - the knowledge he has, and the influence he could take to the other Dragons after the defeat of Alduin is immense. No Mortal would bring that kind of status back, and none of the existing Greybeards look like they have long enough left to start teaching new recruits enough to save the order for future generations.

The Blades can survive in secret without the Dragonborn - the Greybeards cannot survive without the Dragon.

Very good points actually, especcially about Delphine, but what I'm wondering about is what Beth will make canon?

I mean they have to make it accessible so that any choice could have been done but not necessarily make it obvious.

I have a feeling they might do away with Delphine in the next Elder Scrolls game, then again the next elder scrolls will take place somewhere else in Tamriel so its unlikely she'll be seen in the next one, considering there seems to be a wide dislike for her character (which on the other hand is somewhat good if they decided to make her a villain, like if the Blades want to kill your character in the next game?)

What will be very interesting is how they'll incorporate the blades is in the next game, its guaranteed they'll have a major role (running with the patterns that every game since Morrowind has had the Blades as a major organisation in the world and the fact your character starts out as a prisoner of some kind)

Wouldnt it be cool if your character started in a prison with captured Blades on the Summerset Isles or in Valenwood? (Where I think the next games are gonna take place).

Also, originally I sided with Paarthurnax because he seemed the less bloodthirsty but then I got the paarthurnax dilemma mod

Edited by Scorch621

Then best commit seppuku afterwards, just to be on the safe side, DRAGONborn.

Nah, that does not mean you are related to dragons. I thought its already crystal-clear to everyone, that dragonborn heroes have nothing to do with dragon breeding.

Then best commit seppuku afterwards, just to be on the safe side, DRAGONborn.

Nah, that does not mean you are related to dragons. I thought its already crystal-clear to everyone, that dragonborn heroes have nothing to do with dragon breeding.

No, but the Dragonborn is basically a dragon wearing a human (or elf, or beastkin) face.

No, but the Dragonborn is basically a dragon wearing a human (or elf, or beastkin) face.

WAT? Are you guys trolling me?) Dragons are immortal creatures, and dragonborn heroes are mortals with a gift. Its just a fate of very few to gain the ability to absorb dragon souls. A gift. Not a genetic legacy (can i say so? dont think legacy is the right word, sorry).