Doom and other such games

dragonpen61

Does anybody else remember playing games like Doom and Doom 2 but also modding them?

Sometimes I miss the mods on Doom/Doom 2 though they were often crude and basic compared to mods for Fallout 3.

They sometimes were serious like the Star Wars mod that turned many Doom levels into a whole Star Wars story line inside the Death Star. This was actually well done for an early mod with only some problems. :starwars:

There was a mod that turned one kind of big demon into a dalek. When you destroyed these the top split open and green ooze came out. The daleks went 'exterminate, exterminate' of course. Somehow I could not take this too seriously. :D

Another one was quite good and based on the Alien/s movies complete with whole chambers like those from the space-ship in Aliens and the monsters of course. :sweat:

I also miss some of the funny mods for Doom/Doom 2 such as the Simpsons mod that turned stimpacks into plates of donuts and various monsters into Simpsons characters. Fallout 3 and Oblivion could do well to have some funny mods to play with. :thumbsup:

The oddest one was a mod that turned a type of monster into Barney (from the American children's show). I thought this was good fun to blow up. :banana:

Modding is not a new thing!

Yeah, those things were easier to accomplish when all you were doing was changing sprites. Now things are 3d models, have scripts, physics, deforms, and aren't so easy to do on that large of scale. Not to mention, George Lucas would sue the life out of you if you modded FO 3 into a Starwars game.

• 6 months later...
I'm still playing DOOM on and off. I use the GZDoom platform with the ZDoom Launcher and play mostly MegaWADs for DOOM II. There are so many out there (like 3000 or something) that I doubt I will ever play them all in my lifetime. Talk about keeping a game alive!

Does anybody else remember playing games like Doom and Doom 2 but also modding them?

Sometimes I miss the mods on Doom/Doom 2 though they were often crude and basic compared to mods for Fallout 3.

They sometimes were serious like the Star Wars mod that turned many Doom levels into a whole Star Wars story line inside the Death Star. This was actually well done for an early mod with only some problems. :starwars:

There was a mod that turned one kind of big demon into a dalek. When you destroyed these the top split open and green ooze came out. The daleks went 'exterminate, exterminate' of course. Somehow I could not take this too seriously. :D

Another one was quite good and based on the Alien/s movies complete with whole chambers like those from the space-ship in Aliens and the monsters of course. :sweat:

I also miss some of the funny mods for Doom/Doom 2 such as the Simpsons mod that turned stimpacks into plates of donuts and various monsters into Simpsons characters. Fallout 3 and Oblivion could do well to have some funny mods to play with. :thumbsup:

The oddest one was a mod that turned a type of monster into Barney (from the American children's show). I thought this was good fun to blow up. :banana:

Modding is not a new thing!

Those mods sound epic! :cool: As pathetic as it may sound, I have not really played Doom 1 or 2 with mods. I personally thought they were good enough games on their own, and didn't need mods anyway.

Now that I've heard about these though, I might consider it. Wonder if they work with the steam version of Final Doom too...? :whistling:

The great thing about DOOM mods is that most of them aren't so much mods as they are simply sets of entirely new and original levels, like entirely new games. A megawad is generally 30-32 levels, called maps. Now multiply that by about 3000 and you've got what's currently posted on the internet.

Google:

"DoomWadStation"

or

"DoomWorld"

And you'll see I don't exaggerate.

The great thing about DOOM mods is that most of them aren't so much mods as they are simply sets of entirely new and original levels, like entirely new games. A megawad is generally 30-32 levels, called maps. Now multiply that by about 3000 and you've got what's currently posted on the internet.

Google:

"DoomWadStation"

or

"DoomWorld"

And you'll see I don't exaggerate.

Great links! Bookmarked for once I can get Doom II installed again (need to find it first though, heh).

Kudos for them. :thumbsup:

The only place I can think of where you would be able to buy any of the chapters or versions of this classic would be on-line at something like ebay or Amazon. I found my copy of Doom Collector's Edition at Wal Mart in 2004. I have never seen it for sale outside the cyberworld since, and I'm ultimately thankful that I bought it when I did. I still eagerly want to get the Master Levels, the only thing my Doom collection is missing, but it's no one's fault but my own that I don't have it yet because I don't believe in having a credit card and thus online shopping is difficult.