Missing meshes and textures

Schnippshly

I have a ton of mods, including FCOM and the four mods it's meant for.

I'm having troubles with these meshes that have missing textures, and meshes that are simply missing.

In the Imperial City, there are posters missing textures, one of which is titled "Wilderness of Cyrodil".

Wine bottles and other alcoholic drinks are also missing their textures.

I delete all of the meshes filed under "clutter", but then the meshes with the missing textures are still there, they just give that giant "missing mesh" message.

The only files that reference booze under clutter are the Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul .ESM and .ESP.

When I run into bandits, they have missing torsos and weapons. I loot their corpses to find "viking sword" and "worn fur cuirass", and those are the items in question that don't show up. The file "Francesco's Optional New Items Add-On.esm" references viking swords, and both "FCOM_Convergence.esm" and "Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm" reference the worn fur cuirass.

So, WTF. Apparently, the problems are all because of FCOM and the mods it's meant for! So am I just supposed to delete them??? Am I really the only person with this problem? I downloaded ALL of the necessary stuff for all four of the mods, so why am I having these missing textures and meshes?

This is probably the most common problem in mods. It is caused when the game cannot find the mesh called for by a mod. It uses the yellow block with an exclamation point as a placeholder to keep from crashing.

All except the simplest mods have new textures and usually Meshes. If you look at the zipped files (expand them to see what is there before installing) you will usually see several types of files. The filename.esp is the actual mod, it goes into the Oblivion\Data folder.

A filname.txt or Readme.txt file - this is the read me file that you should read to see if there are any special instructions for this file, such as it may need another mod to work or need OBSE, or need the Shivering Isles expansion, or Need the latest patch.

Textures folder. this contains the texture files (.dds) for the mod. this should be copied to the Oblivion\data\textures folder

Meshes folder. This contains the meshes for the mod, it should be copied to the Oblivion\data\meshes folder

Sounds folder. This contains any new sounds needed by the mod. it should be copied into the Oblivion\data\sounds folder

.bsa files these are compressed files that may contain all of the different files. Any .bsa file should be copied without change into the Oblivion\data folder

There may be other files or folders included, but those are the most common.

If you look in the Oblivion/data folder and see a bunch of .dds files, .nif files, .mp3 files they are in the wrong place. You need to MOVE them to the proper folders.

.dds to the textures folder

.nif to the meshes folder

.mp3 to the sounds folder

.wav to the sounds folder

In a mod with meshes and textures, they are usually in their own folder - look in the zipped file, extract the meshes folder to the Oblivion\data\meshes folder and the textures folder to the Oblivion\data\textures folder. Do the same with any other folder in the zipped file. Usually only the esp file and if present .bsa files go into the \Data folder

One of the most common things I have seen is a folder inside of the data folder with the name of the mod. It may have the texture and mesh files you need. Example Oblivion\Data\mod_xyz.

Then inside the \mod_xyz You may find \Mod_xyz\textures and mod_xyz\meshes folder

These folders Meshes and textures inside of the \data\mod_xyz folder need to be moved into the \data\textures and \data\meshes folders.

The easiest way to do this is to right click and hold the folder you want to move, then drag it into the \data folder.

You will probably get a message that you will overwrite files. Actually it will not overwrite, but append to the original folder.

Haven't used them personally, but do you have FCOM as well as OOO, etc. installed? I was under the impression FCOM encompassed all four mods together w/o having them individually, that may cause a conflict where something is being overwritten and trying to find the mesh from the original mod. Other than that load order could be the only other suggestion I could make. I stayed away from those bigger mods just because they change so much it's too easy for things to go wrong.

Haven't used them personally, but do you have FCOM as well as OOO, etc. installed? I was under the impression FCOM encompassed all four mods together w/o having them individually, that may cause a conflict where something is being overwritten and trying to find the mesh from the original mod. Other than that load order could be the only other suggestion I could make. I stayed away from those bigger mods just because they change so much it's too easy for things to go wrong.

Well, yeah, I already mentioned how I installed FCOM and all four mods it's meant for. I also use BOSS to arrange all of the files. And the file arrangement shouldn't matter in the department of missing textures, unless it's like, the wrong file references the wrong textures or something.

I might just delete the whole FCOM thing because I am tired of it being stupidly broken, but I would rather that it just worked like it's supposed to.

I have a ton of mods, including FCOM and the four mods it's meant for.

I'm having troubles with these meshes that have missing textures, and meshes that are simply missing.

It sounds like your missing one of the large resource files that is required in *addition* to the main mod download for one of the main FCOM mods.

I found this http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=19443 guide helpful with my first attempt to install FCOM.

• 2 years later...

I wanted to make a transparent sword and it helped (I mean adding that NiAlphaProperty) but My problem is:

The model in general is transparent but when I equip it, it gets opaque.

If I switch to third person view it becomes transparent again.

How do I make it transparent during 1-st person view?

• 2 years later...

Uh... Thanks for all of that info, but I already know all that stuff. I even reinstalled the mods to make sure I didn't miss anything. I was asking more specifically about FCOM itself and if this problem ever occured with anyone else.

This happened to me, but I just have OOO, not FCOM. The purple things are: Wine bottles, mead, alcoholic drinks, many posters, some guards.

I also have:

Better Cities

Ruined Tail's Tale

All the DLCs

and some small mods that don't affect textures or meshes in any way

Uh... Thanks for all of that info, but I already know all that stuff. I even reinstalled the mods to make sure I didn't miss anything. I was asking more specifically about FCOM itself and if this problem ever occured with anyone else.

This happened to me, but I just have OOO, not FCOM. The purple things are: Wine bottles, mead, alcoholic drinks, many posters, some guards.

I also have:

Better Cities

Ruined Tail's Tale

All the DLCs

and some small mods that don't affect textures or meshes in any way

Uh, old topic is old... but I have to copy Earthling on that. It sounds like your game is missing one, or more, of the ressource packages going along with the mod. In case of OOO it's likely a BSA, either not present, as in missed to be installed, or just not loaded by your game.

There's 2 ways to get a BSA loaded:

BSAs with the same name as a loaded plugin at the beginning of their filename will be loaded automatically along with the plugin. That's why there's an "empty" ShiveringIsles.esp while all SI content got integrated into the new Oblivion.esm. It only makes the SI BSAs loaded automatically.

The "sArchiveList" entry in your Oblivion.ini lists all BSAs to be loaded by the game, also those not loaded automatically via the plugin-filename-connection mentioned before.

In some cases the changes to the INI could not be done during install, especially when it's not done manually but by using managers. Sometimes the changes were 'undone' again later by another installer messing with the INI again. And sometimes the files itself could not be installed 'correctly', because using a manager the UAC of Windows forced it to install them into the compatibility folder far away from where the game can ever find them, while your Explorer keeps 'wrongly' showing them inside the data folder where they should be. That's what happens when the game's inside program files on those later OS ever since Vista. Windows-created default folders are a no-go location for a game to be modded.