⚠ Website Issue - Mod lists not showing on Collections ×

Problem installing mods in Fallout 4

LuisCarlosNobre

Hi, I recently reinstalled Fallout 4 to start a new save with some mods, wich I did before without many problems. But this time I am unable to put any mods in the game.. I still had Vortex installed, so I downloaded the Unofficial Fallout 4 patch, wich went perfectly, but when I clicked install it got stuck in "preparing" for around 10 minutes until I closed it. After some more tries, I thought maybe it was because I reinstalled the game so I decided to unninstall and reinstall Vortex. After that the problem was still there, then I saw in older downloads that the mods I used previously were still there. I tried to install one or two but got always the "preparing" message, so then i thought it was because of the old mods were there so I deleted them all and unninstalled an reinnstalled Vortex again, but the problem is still there! I know it's probably my fault, but is there something I can do to fix this? I just started the game to see if it was working after installing, but I didn't start a new save before I get my mods.. please help

Guest deleted34304850

i'd ask you to think about this for a minute;

why do you think that uninstalling and reinstalling vortex would help in your situation?

anyway, while you answer that; here's what i would do;

go into vortex - select all your mods that it thinks you've got installed - and uninstall them and purge them. all of them, leave nothing behind.

it may take some time - or it may take a few seconds, who knows? but don't interrupt it, don't stop it, don't uninstall vortex, reinstall windows - just leave it alone until it thinks all your mods are uninstalled.

then go your fallout 4 folder and delete your data folder.

then start fo4

you should, at this point, have a completely fresh install of fallout 4 that should start up with no problem.

if fo4 starts up without issue and you can begin the game - congratulations you can now hit alt f4 to quit out and download and install mods and mod your game.

I'm sorry, I'm new at this and pretty terrible, where exacly is the data folder? My windows is not in english so it's harder to find. I can enter the game with no problems, but I haven't started a new save. I already unninstalled and purged all the mods, my problem is that I can't install any, when I press the button it just says "preparing" in the notifications for indefinitive time. I've spent hours searching, and found more people with the same problem, but no solution that worked.. I thought by unninstalling Vortex I was going to reset it or something like that.

Guest deleted34304850

you're not terrible - we all start somewhere.

the reason for my first question is to get you to think about your actions.

uninstallng/reinstalling isn't a good thing to do - so don't do that. if you don't do that, you can focus on other things - uninstall/reinstall is a distraction.

the data folder is in your fallout 4 folder.

it will be something like ../steamapps/common/fallout 4/data/

just delete that directory - but only AFTER - you have purged all your mods from vortex. it still thinks you have mods installed even though you removed the game at some point. if you tell vortex to "uninstall" all the mods, it will basically "forget" about them, allowing you to start over.

if you have no mods in vortex - so that it shows no mods or plugins - then it is safe to delete your data folder.

once you have deleted the data folder - you can do two things;

1. validate local files via steam

2. start a new game

both actions will create a brand new, empty data folder.

quit the game, go into vortex install a mod from nexusmods or from a local archive (if you have them) and you should be good to go.