ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Graphics card not recognized...

rhz

Hello

I have a problem when launching Fallout New Vegas,the thing is that the game does not recognize my graphics card(geforce gt 640m) in the options menu,it shows the Intel Graphics 4000 setup instead.The game runs a bit slow so I´m trying to optimize my laptop for better performance,the weird thing is that the nvidia panel actually recognizes the game when I´m playing it but since the options menu doesn´t I´m not sure if my card is being put to use by the game.As a comparison,I also have Skyrim(which has a similar options menu) and in there the game recognizes my card without problems.Any pointers would be appreciated.

Edited by rhz

Well, instead of wasting your time telling you to check all the stuff you have probably checked, the only thing that comes to mind is this:

I installed a brand new Radeon hd 7770 not too long ago, so it's still fresh. I'm not sure if you did this, but they clearly say that in order to avoid these conflics you're having, you must first go to your BIOS and there's an option related to "Intel graphics accelerator" you must turn that off and THEN install your graphics card driver. If you've done that, the system shouldn't even mention intel hd 4000 anymore. (so jelly, i have a hd 3000 and it was OP not long ago..)

SO anyways. Remove your graphics card driver, do the BIOS thing and reinstall. That should solve it. No guarantees tho. GL!

EDIT: oh, i'm a noob, i didn't read it was a laptop, i feel stupid now. Well, yes. Like JIP said, can't change GPU in laptop. But while normally people don't update drivers all time, video drivers are important. Somehow my FNV textures were all messed up at the beginning until i updated the driver.

Edited by cccddd123

If it's a laptop, then it can only have a single GPU, the only one the game can use.

In other words - nothing to worry about. Just make sure you are using the latest Nvidia display-drivers.

I'm not a hardware expert, therefore I can't say why this is happening, nor whether it is common or not. What I can say is that I've seen it before and, as already said, that it is nothing you should be concerned about.

If the card did not exist at the time the game was released - it will not show up because they didn't have it to create the settings for it. Instead, the set up makes a guess as to what it might be and sets the graphics to a conservative (very low) setting just to get it to work so you can set it properly yourself.

Accept whatever it shows. Then start the game and go into the advanced game settings. Set the resolution based on your MONITOR. Then make any other video settings that are appropriate.

Nvidia has some stuff on their website that may help you set it up better. Their new program to optimize for a specific game probably does not go back as far as FONV and will only work for newer games.

I'm surprised that it shows intel as it should at least recognize the GPU as Nvidia based.