Oblivion won't run with any mods

TenShadows

If I have just the main files and official DLCs, the game runs perfectly fine. If I load the unofficial patches, or some other mods, the game still runs, but without music - and none of the mods actually work. With some other mods... it won't start. It simply goes black for a split second after startup, like it was going to start, but then it won't.

I have no idea what the problem is but would like to know.

I've got OBMM, OBSE, and other things, and have run BOSS.

What copy of Oblivion do you have? Retail disc, Steam, D2D, other?

Is it patched to version 1.20416?

What mods have you tried, and what was the issue with each?

Other things? What other things?

Steam, GOTY edition. I've been told it has been patched already and I don't need to run up the official patches - and was outright scared away from doing so when it was pointed out such a thing could break the game.

The mods include Book Jackets, Better Cities, DarNified UI, Deadly Reflex, Ebony Sword Replacer, Elven Map - both for basic game and Shivering Isles - Francesco's Leveled Creatures and Items, Fundament, Let There Be Darkness, LowPoly Grass, nGCD, Skeletons, SM Combat Hide, Stealth Overhaul Redux, Unique Landscapes Compilation, and Ultimate Music Pack. Of these, Book Jackets and Deadly Reflex cause the game to not run, while Unique Landscapes at least allows it to run but without music - and playing to the supposed landscape places, it turns out nothing there has changed. Same with DarNified UI: game runs, but mod isn't active and the inventory is as it used to be.

Besides OBMM, OBSE, and BOSS, I have the 4gb Patch, Fast Exit, Oblivion Graphics Extender, Fake Fullscreen, Script Optimization, Wrye Bash, and Oblivion Crash Prevention System for OBSE.

If it's GOTY, it should already be patched. If you want to be sure, look at the bottom left corner of the title screen.

Let's pick a simple mod, Book Jackets is perfect.

But first make sure OBMM is installed properly. Run it to see if the Oblivion.esm and DLC's show up in the column on the left. If not, fix that first.

Now to install the mod. Extract the archive you downloaded for Book Jackets. Open the extracted folder and delete everything except the Book Jackets Oblivion.esp and the meshes and textures folders. Now run OBMM. Hit "create" then "add folder". Navigate to the extracted folder and open. You should see the Book Jackets Oblivion.esp in the OMOD Creator window. At the top, enter a name for the OMOD, you can skip the rest. Now hit "create OMOD". It will take a few seconds to do it's work. You will now see your new OMOD in OBMM's right-side window. Highlight it, then hit the "activate" button. Now it shows up on the left, and in game. One last step, though. On OBMM's main window, at the right, hit "utilities". Now "Archive Invalidation", make sure it is set to "bsa Redirection", then hit "update now". The mod will now be active in the game.

The most likely reason it crashed you before was that you had both esp files installed. It's one or the other, the one that says BP is for a specific book placement mod.

Deadly Reflex 6 I assume? That mod has a lot of dependencies, make sure you have all the requirements installed first.

I would recommend removing OBGE while testing.