We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

Install order program?

Lucinator

No. Normally, something like this is planned out ahead of the installation by checking files and readmes. However, if you use the Mod Organizer, you can adjust mod installation order -after- a mod has been installed, as easily as you can adjust the plugin load order. MO will also display file overwrites if the mod resource files are in loose file format, so you can see which mod has overwritten what.

no I mean a program that tells you the proper order to install mods i.e. before you install the mods, also I cant follow the readme because every readme says their mod has priority.

As for why I've been running into issues with a mod set that I use....see link

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1024621-jarl-balgruuf-the-greater-first-mission-ctd/

What I've done in the past...

install my non-plugin mods first

check to make sure they work properly in game

install my plugin mods second

run BOSS for load order

setup any necessary rules for unsorted plugins

re-run BOSS

copy the load order as determined by BOSS

uninstall all plugin mods

re-install according to the load order determined earlier

This does two things...

automatically puts the plugins in the correct load order

automatically lists the plugins in correct load order for the Creation Kit's listing of install order.

When working with multiple mods as parent plugins in the Creation Kit it is important to have install order equal load order. Can be a lot of work, but usually worth it in the long run.

Plugins are mods but not all mods are plugins.

Mods which have an ESP or ESM file to be activated and have their position adjusted within the load order are classified as plugins.

Mods which do not have an ESP or ESM file but are only a collection of loose override files (i.e. textures, meshes, scripts, etc) are non-plugin mods.

ESP = Elder Scrolls Plugin

ESM = Elder Scrolls Master

By design users are intended to make ESP files only while Bethesda makes ESM files, but thanks to the only difference being a single data bit (not to mention the extension) there are third party programs capable of converting an ESP into an ESM.