[LE] Creation Kit: Dialogue Edit = Crash

nyphani

Been out of modding for a bit and recently reinstalled everything, trying to update one of my mods with broken dialogue, but the CK isn't working for me. >:/ Since I've formatted my computer since last time I was modding, I don't remember what steps I did to make everything work before, but I'm hoping I'm just missing something easy.

Problem: I can't save new dialogue. When I open Topic Info, then Edit Response, even without any changes, if I click OK to exit out of both the windows, the CK crashes.

I installed Creation Kit Stability Performance Fixes but it didn't fix it. This is on a completely fresh install of Oldrim and Creation Kit DL off Steam, so if there's any other setup required it's probably not done.

Sidenote, I'm not even actually trying to save dialogue, I just need blank audio attached to the dialogue options so the game doesn't freak out and just hang. I didn't do this when I made the mod on some of the dialogue that I didn't think the subtitles were important for, so now sometimes when opening dialogue it just gets you stuck in a dialogue menu with no options and can't exit... If there's an easier way to add silent dialogue, I'm open to suggestions. :S

Any ideas? I'm at a loss and I hate the idea of just never being able to update my mods involving dialogue again. D:

This is just an absolute wild "maybe who knows" kind of guess, but since it crashes specifically when opening the response window and you're making silent dialogue, maybe it's something with the sound driver input?
You see, if for example I don't have a microphone connected at the time of opening the response window, the CK will prompt me with an error that it can't find a device for recording. My guess is that this is the step where it gives a more severe problem for you for some reason (namely a crash).

So unless someone knows an actual fix, and unless you've already tried this, maybe you could try to run the CK with a mic plugged in, see if that helps.

Just an idea.

Thanks for the response! Good suggestion! But no dice. :( It's not crashing when I open the window though, only when I close it with 'OK', if I cancel out of the window it's fine. And it's not just my mod, If I open any vanilla dialogue response windows it has the same results. I'm not even trying to change the sound files at this point, even if I just wanted to open a response and change only the subtitles, it crashes when I click 'ok'.

Is the result the same if you load only Skyrim.esm into ck, without your mod? If you try out, don't set the esm to active, then you can edit dialogue without breaking anything. Don't save afterwards. Or make a new mod and see if it's the same result.

If that works, something is wrong with your mod.

If you have orphaned dialogue in your mod, ck will crash. Orphaned dialogue happens, if you delete topics or branches and ck doesn't update properly. Or if you have dialogue linked the wrong way ck crashes, too. Sometimes it happens that in ck it looks like dialogue is deleted, but if you check that with TESVEdit, deleted dialogue is still there. You wrote you have broken dialogue in your mod - maybe that's the problem. Delete that dialogue with TESVEdit and create it new. Backup your esp first. Clean your mod and try again.

Don't know if that helps. Good luck.