Textures / Meshes Not Loading or All Black

Hello All,

Brand new to the world of Oblivion (and the Elder Scrolls for that matter). Pretty excited to get through this game and see what it's all about, but decided to add some graphical mods to freshen up the aging visuals a bit. In doing so, I ran into an issue which I'll explain in a minute, but first...

REFERENCE INFO:

1. A thread on the forums I found via search in which the OP seems to be having the exact same issue as me. That thread hasnt been used since 2010, so I figured it would be better to just create a new thread.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/179548-incredibly-frustrated-blackscreen-problems-with-caves/?hl=textures+not+loading

2. A link to the Youtube videos I watched (a set of 5) in which the guy gives step-by-step instructions on how to mod Oblivion. I followed his method verbatim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DfrB1nGPRY

3. Please see one of the attached images (Wrye Bash Mod) of Wrye Bash mods list.

SYSTEM INFO:

ASUS P8 Z68-V

Windows 7 Pro x64

Sandy Bridge 2600K

16GB Corsair XMS3 1333MHz

EVGA GTX590

PROBLEM

As the title suggests, I'm having a problem with texture or meshes (whichever) not seeming to load properly. It occurs, so far, ONLY when I enter the sewers from the Sanctum during the tutorial. Up until that point, the game plays perfectly. No crashing, no errors, glitches, etc. But the second I enter those sewers, well, forget it. The only things I can see onscreen when I enter the sewers are the compass, my equipped weapon and spell, and the health/stamina/magic meters. I've run BOSS to ensure my load order is good, and I've utilized Wry Bash's built-in feature to perform the NVIDIA "fog fix" on each mod just to be safe

Things worth noting:

1. When I enter the sewers, the game continues to run. I can still move around and re-enter the Sanctum (which displays perfectly). So I know the game isnt locking up or freezing.

2. I can also still enter the TAB menu. You know how when you hit TAB and bring up the menu, you can still see the area you are in? Well, when I TAB in the sewers, all I see is a solid gold-ish color. No textures, no structures, etc. (see attached image "textures.jpg). See how the 'background' is all a solid color?

3. If I allow my character to remain stationary for a few minutes and the game goes into that "auto camera panning" thing (screen saver maybe?), I can see EVERYTHING. The entire area is now visible. However, moving my character around after this causes everything to go black again.

3. If I hit the R key on my keyboard to change perspective from 1st to 3rd, I CAN see SOME stuff, but only if I'm facing the door to the sanctum. If I try to 'look' toward to the way forward, everything goes black.

I'm thinking there is some kind of texture loading issue, but many of the mods I've installed had additional or updated textures. It's not in the screen shot, but I've also installed Qarls texture pack 3. Does anyone know exactly which files are loaded into sewers? Is it:

Oblivion --> Data --> Meshes --> Dungeons --> Sewers?

Almost every single .NIF file in that directory on my PC has a lock on the icon. Would this have anything to do with it? Some of the other directories have file icons with locks as well, so maybe not..?

In any case, if anyone has learned of a way to get past this issue without having to do a full re-install I'm all ears. Thanks for reading,

Shaun

Edited by electrichead1981

Well for starters, you have not rebuilt your Bashed Patch. You have a load order conflict with what the order is now, and what is in the Bashed Patch: it is orange, when it should be green.

:o Well I think the locked .nifs go might be a permissions issue, have you tried unpacking the mod's archive to the desktop and then dragging those over to the Oblivion directory? I just have the disk version. I've never had that happen, but it may fix the issue.

Edited by pheo3309

Well for starters, you have not rebuilt your Bashed Patch. You have a load order conflict with what the order is now, and what is in the Bashed Patch: it is orange, when it should be green.

Hickory,

Not sure why that happened. I know I rebuilt that patch...

In any case, I just re-rebuilt it (its green), and I ran BOSS another time. Same thing happens in the sewers though.

:o Well I think the locked .nifs go might be a permissions issue, have you tried unpacking the mod's archive to the desktop and then dragging those over to the Oblivion directory? I just have the disk version. I've never had that happen, but it may fix the issue.

It shouldn't be. I don't have UAC enabled, and my account is the only one that exists on the machine (its the Admin account). I had thought about that as well.

Well the thing is, is that the directory that Steam is installed under can possibly do that regardless if UAC is enabled or not. Instead of extracting directly into the directory, I just extracted to my desktop and merged the folder and it sorted that part out and it's worked in the past for me before. Mine's the same way and I've encountered similar issues, mainly because Windows hates it when you save in the Program Files directory. Since Steam is in there as well, it's probably the same issue. And note, while you're -not saving- in there, it's a strange issue. But something that worked for me is using an empty folder on the desktop, extracting there, then merging the content. If they still appear locked, then something's not right.

Edited by pheo3309

That type of issue can result when another .ESM modifies a vanilla cell. Did anything get merged at all when you ran Wrye Bash?

I don't think so, but I'm not at all familiar with WB, I just followed what some other guy did. I put a .7z file ("All Natural" mod) in the bash installers directory, opened up WB, went to the installers tab, right-clicked the .7z file and ran the Wizard. So if that merges anything, than yes lol. But honestly I have no clue.

Well the thing is, is that the directory that Steam is installed under can possibly do that regardless if UAC is enabled or not. Instead of extracting directly into the directory, I just extracted to my desktop and merged the folder and it sorted that part out and it's worked in the past for me before. Mine's the same way and I've encountered similar issues, mainly because Windows hates it when you save in the Program Files directory. Since Steam is in there as well, it's probably the same issue. And note, while you're -not saving- in there, it's a strange issue. But something that worked for me is using an empty folder on the desktop, extracting there, then merging the content. If they still appear locked, then something's not right.

I'll have to give that a shot in the future. At this point, after fiddling with mods for the better part of a week (sad..), I've got the game installed and running with most of the mods I wanted. "All Natural" weather mod and "Immersive Interiors" both seem to crash my game, or create that black texture issue, so I'm just going on without. Thanks for the info though, I'm sure it'll come in handy in the future :thumbsup:

Shaun