Improve the Vanilla Weapons

tgl

Hello to all,

As stated I feel that there are vital improvements to be made to the vanilla weapons that will make both them and the overall game better.

I realise that there are a lot of mods out there doing this in various ways, but none that have got it just how I want, so....

Also I feel that some mods try to improve but go too far and end up un-balancing the weapon / game, ruining it.

The key I think is just a few small but meaningful tweaks. If you agree read on....

Examples of my intent:

* Improve hunting rifle damage / range (after all it is a 'Hunting' rifle, it should be of at least SOME use)

- maybe include rechambre to .308, .30/06 or other plausible calibers - or just add as variants

- want things to be CALIBER (Community Ammo Library) compatable

* Possibly include some mods / improvements as workbench (CRAFT) designs so as you progress through the game, using and understanding your weapons better you can improve them as you go

- mods / improvements available or ability to use them would depend on the players relevant weapon skills

* Also want to make weapons have better 'real' names, in keeping with the larger Fallout world but also the real world where appropriate (after all this is the future we're talking about here)

- e.g. why all those 'AK-47' name replacers when this model, although popular, has long since been replaced with the AK-74 using 5.45x39mm ammo instead of 7.62mm

So if you have modding skills with any of the following: GECK, textures / 3D, sounds, bsa packing etc. and want to lend your talents to this endeavour

OR if you have any suggestions, stuff you would like to see (in this vein) then please post back.

Let me know what you think, the possibility is there to make a small Community pack of weapon improvements and variants.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ @ # TGL (The Grimm Leaper) - Kicking computer games butts since 1988 # @ ~

~ Wolf whipping, ROTT ripping, Duke destroying, Doom mashing, Quake crushing FPS GOD!! ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"* Improve hunting rifle damage / range (after all it is a 'Hunting' rifle, it should be of at least SOME use)"

Perhaps your comparing it too something WAY more powerfull later on in the game, But if you've put your skill points here the hunting rifle is a damn dependable weapon, And avaliable very early on in the game.

"- maybe include rechambre to .308, .30/06 or other plausible calibers - or just add as variants"

You gotta remember that quite some of the ammo in this game is world ammo, Notice how whenever you find a hunting rifle theres usually boxes of .32 ammo lying around it? Yeah. I don't think this is so neccessary as the rarity of .32 ammo matches the worth of the guns it's fired from (.32 pistol/hunting rifle/unique variants)

"- want things to be CALIBER (Community Ammo Library) compatable"

More CALIBR is allways good I guess.

"* Possibly include some mods / improvements as workbench (CRAFT) designs so as you progress through the game, using and understanding your weapons better you can improve them as you go"

This I like. I allways thought it'd be nice if you could modify your weapon to really be like YOUR weapon, I guess you could put like a scope on, Maybe give it a camo paintjob etc. If you've played CoD4 thats my kinda idea, It'd be tedious to have to make all the different weapons in the GECK though.

"- mods / improvements available or ability to use them would depend on the players relevant weapon skills"

Sounds good to keep it balanced.

"* Also want to make weapons have better 'real' names, in keeping with the larger Fallout world but also the real world where appropriate (after all this is the future we're talking about here)"

There's mods that do that perfectly fine allready, In my opinion.

"- e.g. why all those 'AK-47' name replacers when this model, although popular, has long since been replaced with the AK-74 using 5.45x39mm ammo instead of 7.62mm"

True but people just like AK-47's due to thier reputation, I think.

"the possibility is there to make a small Community pack of weapon improvements and variants."

Indeed it is, More unique weapons found it fitting locations around the game is allways a good thing, And improvements are improvements so you can't go wrong.

Sorry if I shot any of your ideas down, This is just my 2 cents and you don't really need to listen to me. If you do end up doing a few tweaks I'd be happy to contribute audio work (Silenced gun shots etc?)

Jakob

Archived