Roleplaying Overhauls - Requiem / Skyre

Grogthenailer

Roleplaying Overhauls - Requiem / Skyre

I have to say I love Skyre, have used it for quite some time., such a solid mod and the creator deserves much credit.

I know it is like comparing apples to oranges but ah well, want to comment on the Overhaul - Requiem , I tried it recently (for a change) and it is outstanding as well. The only thing that is off putting is un-levelled mobs, to get started it is such a game changer. I understand where the game overhaul is coming from and perhaps I am too much of a sissy to be playing it but just doing the simplest things at the start (early quests) is impossible (Bleak Falls). The big spider is unkillable as a sword and board. Just no option except avoid many quests until you get stronger which means a lot of exploration (good) with too much trial / error of what you can fight and what is impossible, Lots of down time and grinding that gets in the way.

Yeah so maybe Requiem is not for me (at the start anyway) but it is great I bet once you get past all the grind. In the end, I think it may be the un-levelled mobs and areas that keep many from getting past the first while. Skyre is in top 20 or so mods of all time, I think the choice to have levelled mobs & areas may be one of the biggest differences.

Long introduction to a simple question. Would Requiem creator ever consider doing a version based off of a levelled format? I just didnt want to go further with because running away from so many quests and areas and bad guys (and for the foreseeable future while in game with Requiem) seems to be something that restrains its downloads.

Yes, this is feedback only and something I would be really interested in seeing. No, I couldnt even come close to making a mod like rquiem and the creator has more talent in his toe than i do in my whole body.

• 1 month later...

The big spider is unkillable as a sword and board. Just no option except avoid many quests until you get stronger which means a lot of exploration (good) with too much trial / error of what you can fight and what is impossible,

thx! I was looking for this information! one more reason to uninstall all other boring/easy mods and go strictly for Requiem FTW! :D

Just imagine things like this: you have places your are not able to fight because you have not enough power, equipments, friends/followers; so you go elsewhere to build up your strengh, and later on you will be able to handle!

if you ever played MMORPG, it is like that too, you are limited to certain places until you build your strengh; may be you are too used to FPS games where you go go go without stopping; but that is not hardcore :(, you are not forced to think, to use all your resources and try again and again to have better luck moment; thats what "we" think is cool :), to be challenged! xD

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just started playing Requiem and already like it better. World does not revolve around me, I like the skill trees and I like the race modules, how perks work and how NPCs use perks as well. I like that bosses are HARD and when someone says a place is dangerous (like Bleak Falls Barrow that you could clean out at lvl 5 in vanilla) it actually IS.

I'm eager to keep playing and see what other surprises there are in Requiem but for people who are more into role playing, character building, immersion and realism it isn't even close that Requiem is better. If you like vanilla and don't like the idea that an arrow in your unarmored gut could actually one shot you... this might not be for you.

You see, I actually feel like the one thing Requiem does worse than SkyRe (well one of 3 things it does worse really) is, ironically enough, roleplaying. There is no way I can play a mage who only uses Illusion/Alternation in Requiem and survive. There just isn't. Requiem's setup makes this impossible. SkyRe on the other hand makes this build a totally viable option. Your build might have a bigger impact on gameplay in Requiem with the rock-paper-scissors type system it has, but SkyRe makes a lot more build variety that are still viable and playable, which gives you more freedom in terms of your character, even if Requiem is a lot more realistic.

The other two areas I like SkyRe better for are the perks (which plays into what I talked about above) and compatibility (though Requiem is doing a great job in catching up in this category. I notice new patches going up all the time).

Well, to be blunt, because you are doing it wrong! Requiem is kind if incorrectly named, it's not so much a "roleplaying" overhaul, as a "realism" overhaul. If you think about it realistically, undead hoards and 8 foot spiders would be freakishly hard for anyone but the most skilled combatants to face. And besides, bleak falls barrow HAS to be hard. Why? because it's the quest that kicks of dragons, and dragons are INSANELY powerful in requiem, and you don't want them to start appearing until you are around level 25. I have been playing my requiem based install for around 65 hours, and I am level 15, and only just recently got good enough to start taking out dungeons full of the undead. It's probably a good ida to increase the damage dealt/received to 125%

Oh, and by the way, no, the author of requiem likely never make an unleveled system, this is the core of requiem, and would basically make it an entirely different mod.

Also, by the way, I am working on a mod to combined the best of requiem and skyre. It is based on requiem, but uses SkyRe's perk, magic, and weapon system. ^_^ So keep an eye out for that!

Check this video out.

Saying it's not a roleplaying mod is incredibly disingenuous when it's described exactly as such. The description enjoys enforcing the fact that it's a realistic roleplaying experience where "hardcore" is a common misconception but the truth is that Requiem is about as realistic as balls on a sheep. It's not a sheep if it has balls.

Requiem aims to bring back the experience of games such as Baldur's Gate back on the table, but it the one thing that it fails at is build diversity, a feature found in every single D&D campaign ever made, a feature that is incredibly important to any sort of roleplaying game, particularly one based off on D&D.

Say what you will about Requiem's difficulty, at the end of the day I can't reliably play from start to finish as a full mage character, one that utilizes things such as Illusion, Alteration and maybe a bit of Destruction. I can do this one I have gotten a few other important skills up, most notably Archery, Sneak and an Armor skill, but you cannot play a "pure" mage until you've played something else (either a armour-clad barbarian or an evasive bandit), which defeats the point of being "pure".

I get that the game is hard, but there's such a thing as "overtuned". Every Overhaul mod has one thing in common, which is that it gets easier as time goes by and the hardest part is the start. Requiem is fantastic at mid-high levels because it scales out beautifully around this part to give you a great balance, where other combat mods like Skyrim Redone's or ASIS are generally lackluster at end-game as you amass too much power.

The problem is just how exponential the gain is. Skyrim Redone's problem is that it starts off challenging and ends up being as faceroll as the original game, whereas Requiem's issue is that it starts off so insanely difficult that you'll likely lose that sanity before you get to anywhere near the point of being on an even footing with a simple bandit.

Having the game be hard even at end-game is good and welcomed by numerous players, but having it be so hard at the start of the game whereupon you are pigeon-holed into a certain build is not. Even Dark Souls, a game that is renown for it's difficulty, can be beaten with sheer skill at the low levels. Requiem cannot, because Skyrim is just like any other RPG: A numbers game. A numbers game whereupon Requiem makes me want to run away from enemies more than actually engage them. I don't see how that's fun at all.

I used to use Requiem, but I found it was way to restrictive. Building a heavy armored paladin or battle mage was impossible, or at the very least it became too much of a hassle trying to plan every little step just so I could learn to cast basic spells in heavy armor. I also didn't like how it felt that archery was way powerful. With a bow and arrow, a sneak attack could literally kill any enemy. Sure enemies in heavy armor could take a few more blows, but it's a lot easier to just keep backing up and hitting them with a barrage of arrows until they drop (or just use a paralysis poison and stab them to death quickly).

I notice that Requiem encourages people to power instead of roleplay. You have to actually know before hand what you want to build, where you need to go to level, and how you and where to get the best equipment etc, etc. Some of it's changes also doesn't make sense. For example a horse costs 6000 coins, while a house costs only 3000. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Even if one could argue about horses being more valuable due to the Civil War, it would never be THAT expensive. Also I don't like how it handles religion. Talos won't bless people who join the Empire, and none of the Divines will bless Werewolves. Elvish armor ( Elven Armor and Dwarven Armor) are now for some reason stronger then Nordic armors ( Scaled Armor and Steel Plate Armor ). Even though Nords are considered better smiths then Elves. It's restrictions on races are annoying too. The way it's early stats are made make it very difficult to have unique class and race mixups. For example, making an Orc or Nord mage is a lot more difficult. It punishes players to much for trying to do something unique and cool. It discourages unique gameplay, and encourages people playing sterotypical and stale roles and classes for their race. With Requiem, it's pretty much saying "if your going to play an Orc, only play a heavy warrior, anything else is won't be fun and is a bad idea."

Requiem DOES has some pretty nice changes, but the way it handles combat balance is annoying. It's very restrictive and it's classes and perks are unbalanced. Conjuration is known for being a lot more powerful then other schools of magic, and playing a light armored thief has much more rewarding gameplay then a heavy armored shield and sword warrior does. I think the problem with the mod that it tries to change the core of Skyrim. Skyrim is about exploration and freedom. This mod limits that freedom in a way that is more frustrating then immersive. I really like Requiem, but the frustration and restriction was to much.

Edited by calfurius