3DS Max anyone?

thebeast505

im thinking of getting 3DS max. ive heard alot about it, read a bit on it but still am not quite sure what i can DO with it. :\

sounds like its a animator/3d modellar/ game creator?

not quite sure how ppeople use it for skyrim. but any help would be appreciated. i would like to create my own creature textures. POSSIBLY cinimatic cutscenes sometime in the future if that is possible.

thanks

It's used for modeling, animation, and rigging. If you want to make your own textures, you'll also need a 2D editing program such as Photoshop. IIRC, Adobe is giving away free copies of Photoshop CS2. You'll have to provide some info though.

If you just want to change texture of existing stuff you can do it even without 3ds max. you can change the existing textures with 2d program like photoshop. if you want to model something you will need 3ds max. you can watch tutorials on youtube. autodesk offers a free trial for 3ds max

There are free alternatives for 3ds max like blender, i have never tried them.

Edited by majistik

If you don't outright know what you specifically need 3ds Max for then stick to Blender, as it handles all importing and exporting and modeling for free. There are many reasons to buy a copy / get a student license of Max but if you're new to 3D work in general it's best to get your feet wet with Blender, Max is way too costly of a single purchase if you're only starting out. For average use the only real difference is the interface and keys you operate it with.

Autodesk products also have their own limitations and shortcomings that can make them poor longterm investments for some users. I've been using both Max and Maya professionally and aside from certain morphing functions and symmetrical editing tools Blender does everything Autodesk programs do.

It all really depends on what you want to do. For texturing I use Zbrush to sculpt normal maps and 3Dcoat and Photoshop for diffuse and specular work.

Edited by nuska

What do you guys mean by "rigging"

And modeling? Is modeling creating completely new objects and creatures?

Edit:

Just checked out blender, seems to be just as good as 3ds max except Alot more info displayed about features so that's great.

And my main goal is to make some new creatures for skyrim, not retextures. I want to start off by making a zombie for skyrim, one from the good old days of oblivion, the get some daedra like the clan fear and daedroth.

This is possible in blender?

Edited by thebeast505